Acceptance Rate of Boston University: It is a new academic session and you are still confused about which university to apply for. Applying to Boston University won’t be a bad idea.
Boston University, situated in Massachusetts, is one of the best universities in the United States.
It is a private academic and professional institution with over 35,000 students from over 130 countries.
According to the Times Higher Education, Boston University graduates are the most employable in both the United States and the world, placing fifth and sixth in both categories.
Nobel Laureates, Rhodes Scholars, Marshall Scholars, Sloan Fellows, Pulitzer Prize winners, Academy Award winners, and multiple Emmy Award winners are among the university’s strong global alumni network. Boston University, as one of the best universities in the United States, carefully considers student applications.
This blog strives to provide you with all of the necessary information on the Acceptance Rate of Boston University and their admission procedure.
After our previous article on NYU Transfer Acceptance Rate By Major 2022, We received a lot of questions asking;
- What GPA do you need to enter Boston University?
- Is Boston University hard to get into?
- Is Boston University a prestigious school?
- Can I get into Boston University with a 3.6 GPA?
- What is the average GPA at Boston University?
- Is Boston University Ivy League?
- What is unique about Boston University?
In this article, we will be answering all of these questions but for starters asking, is Bosten University ivy league?
Is Boston University Ivy League?
Boston university is not an official Ivy League school, but it shares many characteristics that we typically associate with an Ivy.
The term “Ivy League” refers to a subgroup of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Division I conference, which was founded in 1954. The label had nothing to do with sports and said nothing else.
In popular parlance, the term has come to refer to elite education, world-class scholarship, and a devoted alumni base that proudly wears the school colors.
The Ivy League schools are among the country’s oldest institutions, with the majority having been founded during the Colonial period. Another feature that these schools have in common is their location. They are all located in the Northeast. It goes without saying that these schools are frequently ranked among the top 20 colleges and universities on lists of the best colleges and universities.
The only official Ivy League schools are Cornell, Brown, Harvard, Princeton, Dartmouth, Yale, Upenn, and Columbia. While this official designation has remained constant and will continue to be so for some time, “Public Ivy” and “Ivy League material” schools have sprouted up over the last few decades.
Boston university, like Stanford or MIT, could be considered an Ivy; it is selective, has a high graduation rate, has created prominent alumni, and its faculty are leading instructors and scholars.
How to Get Into Boston University 2022: Admissions Data and Strategies
Boston University has so much to offer that it’s easy to see why it garnered 61,006 applications for a slot in the 2021-22 freshman class. BU’s popularity/prestige has risen so dramatically that the admission rate is currently one-third of what it was just a dozen years ago (18 percent vs. 58 percent ).
Located in one of the most populous cities in America, BU offers well-regarded academic programs in business, engineering, design, communications, the performing arts, education, and a variety of other fields.
Because of the huge influx of applications in recent years, the average SAT has risen more than 150 points in the time since Barack Obama’s first inauguration.
With competitiveness at an all-time high, today’s applicants must bring far more to the table than those admitted to BU a couple of decades ago.
The purpose of this article is to provide those considering applying to Boston University with the following information:
- An awareness of the broader picture of admissions at Boston University.
- Data to assist you in assessing your prospects of admission with greater accuracy.
- What the admissions committee at Boston University looks for and how to make your application stand out from the pack.
To achieve these objectives, we shall discuss the following topics:
- Boston University’s Class of 2025 acceptance rate
- Boston University’s Class of 2025 ED acceptance rate
- SAT, ACT, GPA, and class rank of accepted Boston University applicants
- Admissions trends from the Class of 2025
- The demographics of current Boston University undergraduates
- Boston University’s yield rate
- How Boston University’s admissions officers evaluate candidates
- Tips for applying to Boston University
- How to assess whether applying to Boston University is even worth the $80 application fee (for you)
Let’s begin with an examination of the most recent admissions data.
Who Gets Accepted to Boston University?
Consider the following demographics of Boston University undergraduates:
Students from all 50 states are represented (plus Puerto Rico, the District of Columbia, Guam, and the American Samoa Islands, and the U.S. Virgin Islands).
They come from over 100 different countries throughout the world.
BU is one of the best US universities for overseas students to pursue their undergraduate studies.
As with any highly selective university, competition is fiercest among those from states with an abundance of competent applicants (the entire Northeast & the West Coast).
If you are from a less populous state, such as Hawaii, the Dakotas, or Montana, your location is more likely to benefit your admissions chances. Every state is represented by at least one student at Boston University. In fact, they have a representative from each state in the 2020-21 freshmen class.
In terms of ethnic identity, current undergrads were divided as follows:
- Asian Americans make up 17% of the population,
- Hispanics make up 12%, and
- African Americans make up 4% of the population.
- Whites make up 22% of the population,
- while blacks make up 36%.
- 4% have two or more races.
The gender composition of all current undergraduates is heavily skewed toward women:
- Males make up 41% of the population,
- while females make up 59%.
One would believe that because there are many more eligible female applicants each year, this gap would offer men an advantage in the admissions process at BU.
However, this is not the case—20.5 percent of men are admitted, whereas 19.8 percent of women are.
How Boston University Evaluates Prospective Students
Boston University considers only three elements to be “extremely essential” in their admissions process: rigor of secondary school record, GPA, and talent/ability. Class rank, GPA, essays, recommendations, extracurricular activities, and character/personal characteristics are all deemed “essential.”
Since the school is once again test-optional for the Class of 2026, standardized test scores are simply ranked as “considered” this year.
BU places high importance on an applicant’s “talent/ability.” In fact, they take great delight in highlighting their incoming freshmen’s unique achievements outside of the classroom. Students attending the school in 2020-21, for example, include…
- MasterChef Junior’s debut season saw him finish third.
- Two products for juvenile cancer survivors have been developed and patented.
- Is a World Tap Dance Champion three times over.
- Created an algorithm to detect and combat cyberbullying
- Was designated one of “America’s top ten outstanding teen social entrepreneurs.”
- In Switzerland, she won a bronze medal in a World Junior Figure Skating tournament.
- Created a solar-powered vehicle
- Started a campaign that has resulted in the donation of over 15,000 pairs of lab goggles to schools across the United States.
- Founded a mobile app with the goal of reducing food waste by linking over 70 restaurants with food surpluses with around 1,200 people looking to buy food at a discount.
- A paper on language teaching for refugees in Turkey was presented to United Nations officials.
- Runs a dance program to assist older individuals in their battle against dementia.
- Was a South China Morning Post columnist.
- A picture book that was translated into three languages, an 80,000-word novel, and a poetry anthology were all published.
“We’re searching for students who are likely to excel at BU,” said the admissions office. It is critical to take honors, AP, IB, or the most difficult classes available at your high school or college.
However, we are also searching for students that will help to shape a distinct and varied community at BU. Those who are doers—volunteers, entrepreneurs, and eager students trying to advance their academic careers.
That is why we take into account extracurricular activities and interests, work experience, exceptional abilities, and skills, as well as recommendations from teachers, counselors, community leaders, and others who are familiar with you.”
It also helps if you have been recruited as an athlete to join one of Boston University’s 24 Division I sports teams or if you have a distinctive ability such as those listed above.
Now you know what Bosten University is looking for in a student, what is Boston University Acceptance Rate?
Acceptance Rate of Boston University 2022
The acceptance rate at Boston University is roughly 20.1 percent, which indicates that nearly 19 students are chosen out of every 100 applications. This obviously demonstrates that the university admissions procedure is extremely competitive and demanding.
Students who want to continue their education must have a strong academic record. Their co-curricular activities must be good in addition to their academics.
They must ensure that they have the necessary talents to gain admission to this prestigious university. As a result, entrance and gaining a seat at this prestigious university is a difficult process.
Boston University Early Decision Acceptance Rate – Class of 2025
Those that are serious about joining BU should strongly consider applying through the binding early decision process. ED accepted half of the universities’ most recent first-year admits. This school has two early decision rounds: ED I in November and ED II in January. The ED acceptance rate is typically roughly 7% greater than the ordinary decision acceptance rate.
Boston University Current World Rankings
After knowing about the Boston University acceptance rate, let’s now have a look at the global rankings of the university.
|World University Ranking QS 2022||110|
|Times Higher Education Ranking 2021||54|
|US News and World Report Ranking 2021||57|
Boston University Admissions – SAT, ACT, GPA, and Class Rank
Those accepted to the Class of 2025 had an average high school class rank in the top 6%, a “A-/A average, and middle-50 percent SAT and ACT standardized test scores of 1430-1540 and 33-35, respectively.
Those who went on to enroll in university for the start of the 2020-21 school year had SAT scores in the middle 50% range of 1340-1460, with an ACT range of 30-34. The average unweighted GPA was 3.76, and 66% of the students were in the top 10% of their high school class.
How to Apply at Boston University?
To apply to Boston University, students must follow the following steps –
- Visit the official website of the university
- Click on ‘Apply Now’ or ‘Register Here’
- Complete filling your education history with all the qualifications
- Fill in the details of your employment history
- Fill in your personal statement
- Submit the application form by paying the mentioned fees.
At the time of admission, the university asks for the following documents –
- Official transcripts
- Application form and application fee which is around 75 USD (INR 5500)
- Statement of Purpose
- Submission essays (if required for the course)
- Test scores of standardized exams (GRE/GMAT, etc.)
- English language requirements (IELTS/TOEFL/PTE)
Tips on How to Apply to Boston University and Get Admitted
If you intend to be one of the 75,000+ BU applicants for the next admissions cycle, you should be aware of the following:
- Boston University expects to see evidence of advanced high school study. Taking many advanced classes, particularly in your field of study, is essential.
- Boston University does not conduct interviews, therefore it is critical that you stand out on your Common App, supplemental essay, and teacher/counselor recommendations.
- In the admissions process, Boston University considers “demonstrated interest.” As a result, you will be evaluated based on whether or not you visited campus (in non-pandemic hours), contacted an admissions officer, and so on.
- Make sure to devote enough time and energy to the extra essay(s) requested by BU. In the 2021-22 cycle, every applicant must complete one question, while applicants to the Kilachand Honors College must complete a different set of prompts.
All applicants must answer:
What about being a student at Boston University most excites you? (250 words)
The key to tackling this 250 word supplemental essay is to do your homework on Boston University in order to uncover the specific attributes and offerings that genuinely get you pumped. Learn how to write a killer “Why This College” essay in our previous blog post on the subject.
Those applying to Kilachand need to answer one of the following prompts:
Option A: What about the Kilachand Honors College resonates with you, and how would Kilachand’s curriculum fulfill your academic, creative, intellectual, and/or professional goals?
Option B: If you could create a new Kilachand course, what would it be? How would your imagined course align with the core values of Kilachand?
University of Bosten Application Deadlines
|Type||Application Closing||Notification Date|
|Fall freshmen||January 4th||March 30th|
|Early decision plan||November 1st||December 15th|
|Other early decision plans||Not reported||Not reported|
|Transfer||March 15th||April 15th|
you can read more about all the University of Bosten Application Deadlines
Boston University Admissions Eligibility Requirements 2022
The eligibility criteria vary depending on the course chosen by the candidates. However, the basic eligibility criteria remain the same:
- Candidates must have proof of scores of standardized exams such as GMAT, GRE, or LSAT
- The Candidates must have completed XIIth from a recognized board
- Candidates must have obtained acceptable scores in TOEFL and IELTS
Boston University Top Courses To Apply For
- Global MBA
- Bachelors of Accounting and Finance
- Bachelors of Computer Science
- Bachelors of Engineering and Technology
- Bachelors of Hospitality and Administration
- Masters of Accounting and Finance
- Masters in Computer Science
- Masters of Engineering and Technology
- Masters in Hospitality and Administration
The University Of Bosten Tuition and Application Fees:
Students who have read about the acceptance rate, admission process, and eligibility criteria may be curious about the average fees that will be incurred while studying at Boston University. To assist prospects, we have compiled the following fees and expenses incurred per year while studying at Boston University:
|Components||Amount in INR|
|Fees and Tuition||$ 59459.40|
|Meals and Hostel||$ 16891.88|
Frequently Asked Questions About University of Bosten Acceptance Rate
What are the accepted scores for Boston University?
The accepted scores of exams are:
- TOEFL – 90 and above
- IELTS – 6.5 and above
- SAT- 1500 and above
What is the Student : Faculty ratio at Boston University?
The Student: Faculty ratio at Boston University is 10:1.
What is the Boston University acceptance rate?
The University of Chicago’s acceptance rate is 20.1%.
What GPA do you need to get into the University of Boston?
You should at least have 3.71 GPA to get accepted at the University of Boston
Students with SATs less than 1350 and/or a 3.75 GPA will most certainly require a “hook” to fulfill their dream of becoming a Terrier. BU, which has an acceptance rate of 18-19%, is mainly interested in students who have 90th percentile or higher standardized test scores and have achieved mostly A’s in a highly challenging high school curriculum.
If you want to attend Boston University, make sure you have a solid backup plan in place. All students must ensure that they create an acceptable college list that includes a mix of “goal” and “safety” schools. You should absolutely do this in collaboration with an admissions counselor.
- Easiest Nursing Schools to Get Into In 2022 | Complete Guide
- The Easiest Medical Schools To Get Into 2022 | Complete Guide
- 21+ Medical Schools In Uk For International Students 2022
The 10 best universities in Europe, according to new rankings
The latest university rankings have just been released, and Europe is home to some of the world’s most prestigious universities. In this article, we will be taking a look at the top 10 best universities in Europe, according to these new rankings. From the oldest university in the world to some of the most well-known …
Top 21 Day 1 CPT Universities in the United States for 2023
If you’re looking for the top Day 1 CPT universities in the United States for 2023, then look no further because this article has the top list of the best Day 1 CPT universities in the country that give students the chance to follow their dreams. From Ivy League schools to public universities, our list …
Easiest Ivy League Schools to Get into | A complete Guide 2023
Easiest Ivy League Schools: Is getting into an Ivy League school a dream you hope to achieve? If yes, then this article will guide you on how to get into Ivy League schools. It is a known fact that Ivy League schools are really prestigious schools. As a result, it seems like an almost impossible …
21+ Accredited Esthetician Schools New York to get into 2023
Accredited Esthetician Schools New York City: Professionals who want to become medical estheticians in the State are required to be trained in an approved cosmetology school to obtain a license in NY. Does that mean without attending a cosmetology school I cannot practice in New York City? Absolutely, you can’t. Esthetics is one of the …
University of St Andrews Acceptance Rate 2023 | Admissions, Requirements, & How to Apply
Studying at the University of St Andrew is a rewarding experience but this experience is limited to a few successful applicants as the acceptance rate is 8.35%. St. Andrews University has an acceptance rate of 8.35% which means the institution is selective about who it admits. Residents and international students seeking admission into the University …
Scripps College Acceptance Rate 2023 | Admissions, Requirements, & How to Apply
If you want to get into Scripps College, the first thing to consider is Scripps college acceptance rate. Scripps College’s acceptance rate is 35%, making the college the #14 in California and #108 in the nation with the lowest acceptance rate. Scripps College is a highly competitive school to get into with a lesser chance …