Even if you have top grades and high test scores, it may not be enough to get into CalArts, as the school is one of the most selective in the country. CalArts acceptance rate is only 27%, so no shame if you don’t get in.
The student-to-faculty ratio at CalArts is an impressive 5 to 1. That’s pretty good when compared to the national average of 15 to 1.
It’s a good sign that students at the school will have more opportunities for one-on-one interaction with their professors.
Why Choose CalArts?
CalArts continues to thrive as a unique place where theater students study alongside filmmakers, animators, dancers, musicians, writers and critical thinkers who are constantly expanding their creativity and professional pursuits.
World-class faculty and staff continue to revolutionize theater training across a wide range of platforms and opportunities.
Dedicated to the development of new voices and forms, the CalArts School of Theater is one of the nation’s premier theater training centers. The goal of the school is to educate the whole person, forming a community of artist-citizens, fully prepared to enter the field of activity and change it.
Students are encouraged to develop professional experiences and relationships as the school creates a variety of opportunities for them to pursue successful careers after graduation.
Is It Hard To Get Into CalArts?
Not at all! Last year, the California Institute of the Arts’ acceptance rate was 24.93. However, check how the level of acceptability has changed over time. As you can see, getting into the California Institute of the Arts is a little easier than last year.
Acceptance rate alone does not indicate your likelihood of getting into the California Institute of the Arts – it is a very high level of understanding of the real competition.
Use the acceptance rate as a general guideline to curate a list of 10-15 schools that fall into different ranges of competitiveness.
What Is CalArts Acceptance Rate 2023?
CalArts has an acceptance rate of 29% for students enrolled in Fall 2021. A total of 2,364 students applied and 686 were accepted into the school.
Considering the acceptance rate, CalArts is relatively difficult to get into (lower than the national average). The yield, also known as the enrollment rate, is 30% with 206 students enrolled out of 686 accepted.
To apply to the CalArts program, entrance exam scores are optional and recommended, and a letter of recommendation(s) is required. The following tables and charts analyze CalArts admissions statistics, including test scores, admissions requirements, and statistics.
What Is CalArts Transfer Acceptance Rate 2023?
In 2019, the California Institute of the Arts accepted 695 transfer applicants. The school accepted 179 students.
Thus, the percentage of accepted transfers for the California Institute of the Arts is 25.76%. This shows how difficult it is to transfer to the California Institute of the Arts.
More than a third of CCA’s entry-level classes are transfer students. CalArts accepts transfer applications for the fall and spring semesters. CCA fulfills the California IGETC curriculum and has articulation agreements with many CA community colleges.
CCA receives over 500 transfer applications each year and accepts over 300 transfer applications. It’s still worth applying, and if you’ve got what it takes, you could be one of the lucky ones.
Acceptance Rate by Major
The acceptance rate at California Institute of the Arts is 23%. For every 100 applicants, 23 are accepted. This means that the school is very selective.
If you meet California Institute of the Arts’ requirements for GPA, SAT/ACT, and other program components, you have an excellent chance of getting in. But if you don’t meet your GPA or SAT/ACT, you’ll have a very low chance of being accepted, even if you meet the other admissions requirements.
- Animation, interactive technology, video graphics and special effects17.9%
- Fine/studio arts10.1%
- Technical theatre/theatre design and technology8.3%
- Music theory and composition7.3%
- Cinematography and film/video production6.4%
- Graphic design5.5%
- Music performance4%
CalArts Admission Requirements
Registration Fee: The registration fee for each international student at the California Institute of the Arts is $65 (undergraduate) and $85 (graduate). The application fee for an undergraduate applicant applying after the preferred deadline is $85.
- Submission of a complete application with a portfolio
- International academic references
- Recommendation letter
- Results of English language proficiency. (IELTS, TOEFL)
- Copy of the title page of the passport
Applicants can access the official website, fill their applications and add requirements electronically. International applicants from Bulgaria, Colombia, Cuba, India, Iran, Kazakhstan, Palestine, and Russia must send hard copies of transcripts.
For applicants from India, a three-year Indian bachelor’s degree equivalent to a US bachelor’s degree is acceptable, provided the degree was earned in the first division and the university is NCAA-accredited with an “A” grade.
The minimum requirement for admission is a final or preliminary degree certificate and annual report of grades.
CalArts Transfer Requirements
- Minimum average score: 2.0
- Official transcripts: Transfer applicants must submit all transcripts after high school graduation. CCA requires applicants who plan to transfer academic credits earned at non-US institutions to submit a translated evaluation of their post-secondary (college) transcript(s).
- SAT Scores: Not required.
- Letters of recommendation: One letter of recommendation is required. The letter of recommendation must be an academic recommendation, while additional letters submitted may be academic, artistic, work, or volunteer.
- Essay: Your application must be accompanied by an essay. Your essay should describe the major influences on your decision to pursue art, architecture, design, or writing. It should also address how you see yourself contributing to the CCA community.
- Application fee: 70 USD
- Interview: An interview is not required, but prospective students are invited to meet with an admissions representative at National Portfolio Days, college-sponsored events, or at a scheduled meeting on campus.
- Other requirements: A portfolio of creative work is required and should be submitted through Slideroom at cca.slideroom.com. To learn more about portfolio requirements, visit the school’s website at cca.edu/portfolio.
What GPA Do I Need To Get Into CalArts?
The average GPA for the California Institute of the Arts is 3.34. California Institute of the Arts requires a GPA. This average GPA means that the California Institute of the Arts is highly selective.
Often schools in this range try to increase their selectivity and “prestige”. We can’t read the minds of California Institute of the Arts application readers, but they’ll probably want to raise their average GPA from 3.34 to 3.51 this year – to play it safe, we recommend aiming for a 3.51 GPA.
What Are The Decision Dates?
Winter session 2023
|December 5*||Monday||Winter Session 2023 Mentoring/Advising Period Begins|
|December 20*||Tuesday||Winter Session 2023 Registration Begins|
|January 4*||Wednesday||New Student Orientation|
|January 5*||Thursday||Course Advising Day|
|January 9||Monday||Winter Session 2023 Classes Begin|
|January 9 – January 13||Monday – Friday||Winter Session Add/Drop Period|
|January 16||Monday||Martin Luther King, Jr. Day (Institute closed)|
|January 16||Monday||Winter Session 2023 Grading Opens|
|January 20||Friday||Winter Session 2023 Classes End|
|January 30||Monday||Winter Session 2023 Grades Due|
How To Apply To CalArts
- Write a great essay that shows the California Institute of the Arts something they can’t tell from other parts of your application. For a step-by-step guide to writing the best college essay, check this out.
- Get teacher reports that match your character. If you know you have a major and are including it in your Cal Institute of the Arts application, try to get at least 1 recommendation from a faculty member in that department.
- Apply by the deadline. Too many students wait until the last minute to submit their application, and too much can go wrong during that precious window of time.
- Since many students apply on the last day, it is possible that the California Institute of the Arts’ own system is failing. Don’t risk the extra stress this can cause by submitting your application a few days early.
For the 2021-2022 academic year, the admission rate is 29.02%, and the exit rate is 30.03%. 872 men and 1,492 women applied to CalArts, and 253 men and 433 women were accepted. Of these, 73 men and 130 women are enrolled in the school (autumn 2021).
CalArts Acceptance Rate 2023 FAQs
What Is CalArts Graduation Rate?
This rate at CalArts for first-time full-time students is 48%, which is better than the national average of 33.3%.
How Much Is CalArts Tuition?
The overall average net price of CalArts is $50,412. School affordability largely depends on your financial needs, as the net price varies by income bracket. Below is a table of net prices for different income groups.
What Is CalArts Freshmen Retention Rate?
Freshman retention rates are an indication of how many full-time students a college or university likes to return for a sophomore year. At the California Institute of the Arts, that figure is 60%, just below the national average of 68%.
What Is CalArts Average SAT Score Requirement?
The average Cal Institute of the Arts SAT score is 1160, which is the sum of the math and reading parts of the SAT (1600 scale). Check out the chart below for a deeper look at student performance – it’s also very interesting to look at the average test score over time. The trend over time helps to understand whether the California Institute of the Arts is becoming more or less competitive.
- campusreel.org – California Institute of the Arts: 2022 Requirements, Scores & GPAs
- Oberlin College Acceptance Rate 2023 | Admissions, Requirements, & How to Apply
- Stanford Transfer Acceptance Rate 2023 | Admissions, Requirements, & How to Apply
- Harvey Mudd College Acceptance Rate 2023 | Admission, Requirements And How To Apply
- Skidmore College Acceptance Rate 2023 | Admissions, Requirements, & How to Apply
- Colorado College Acceptance Rate 2023 | Admission, Requirements And How To Apply
- WPI Acceptance Rate 2023 | Admissions, Requirements, & How to Apply