Harvey Mudd College is one of the most selective schools in the country with an acceptance rate of 18%. Good grades and high exam results alone may not be enough to get you into a school, so do your best to submit a great application.
The student-faculty ratio is often used to measure the amount of educational resources a college or university offers its students.
The national average for this ratio is 15 to 1, but at Harvey Mudd College it is much better at 8 to 1. This is good news for students who want to connect more with their professors on a personal level.
Why Choose Harvey Mudd College?
Harvey Mudd College is the nation’s top liberal arts college of engineering, science and mathematics. Since its founding in 1955, Harvey Mudd has strived to educate future engineers, scientists and mathematicians with a strong emphasis on general science education.
The College provides its students with an excellent technical education complemented by a strong academic foundation in the humanities and social sciences.
What also makes Harvey Mudd unique is that it is a member of the Claremont Colleges Consortium, which consists of Pomona, Scripps, Claremont McKenna and Pitzer Colleges.
Students can cross-register at schools that are within walking distance of each other. An important component of a Harvey Mudd education is the integration of research.
After graduation, all students have some research experience, and 40% of graduates go on to earn doctorates, the highest rate of any school in the country.
Is It Hard To Get Into Harvey Mudd College?
As a leading liberal arts college with an acceptance rate of 25%, Harvey Mudd is a very competitive school to get into. The school’s admissions office is looking for motivated students, especially those who have taken challenging high school courses and earned excellent grades in math and science.
An applicant’s academic credentials, which include GPA and curriculum rigor, are considered, as are his or her references, essays, and personal qualities.
A prospective student’s standardized test scores, extracurricular activities, and class rank are less important. Harvey Mudd also considers alumni relationships, geographic residence, ethnicity, volunteer work, work experience, interview experience, level of interest in the college and whether the applicant is a first-generation college student.
What Is Harvey Mudd Acceptance Rate 2023?
Harvey Mudd College has an average acceptance rate of 14%, making it the 8th lowest acceptance rate of all colleges in California.
Students who are accepted to Harvey Mudd College typically graduate in the top 1% of their class, so admission to Harvey Mudd certainly involves exceptional grade requirements.
Of course, fantastic grades and test scores aren’t the only components important to a student’s admission.
Students working on their application to Harvey Mudd College should supplement their excellent grades with a demonstration of their appreciation for STEM, the arts and humanities, and their ability to collaborate with other students.
What Is Harvey Mudd Transfer Acceptance Rate 2023?
Harvey Mudd’s transfer acceptance rate is 14.5%. For every 100 applicants, only 15 are admitted. This means that the school is extremely selective.
Meeting the GPA and SAT/ACT requirements is very important to pass the first round of filters and prove your academic preparation. If you don’t meet their expectations, your chance of getting in is almost zero.
Once you clear that hurdle, you’ll need to impress Harvey Mudd’s readers with other application requirements, including extracurriculars, essays, and letters of recommendation.
Acceptance Rate by Major
Harvey Mudd College’s acceptance rate is 18%, making it a highly competitive institution. In the last academic year, 905 students studied at the university.
Harvey Mudd College offers more than 20 majors across its 7 faculties. The university offers its students only undergraduate programs.
One thing that is very important when it comes to choosing the right school for you is to make sure that you end up at a school that offers great programs and majors that you are interested in.
After all, it won’t help much if you’re at a great school that’s known for its English program, but you’re interested in majoring in economics.
When it comes to Harvey Mudd, some of the most popular majors include engineering; computer and information sciences and support services; Physical sciences; multi/interdisciplinary research; and biological and biomedical sciences.
Harvey Mudd Admission Requirements
Harvey Mudd only offers undergraduate courses for study in the US. Here’s what you need to know about enrolling in these courses.
- Application Portal: Common Application | Coalition applications
- Application fee: $70
- Completed questionnaire.
- Official academic certificates of attended schools, colleges or other educational institutions.
- Recommendation letter.
- Personal statement.
- Standardized exams for study in the USA.
- English language requirements
Harvey Mudd College is very selective in admissions, with an acceptance rate of about 14%. The college requires three letters of recommendation, one from a guidance counselor and two academic references.
Getting into Harvey Mudd may seem difficult, but the excellent education and popularity of the college’s courses make up for the effort.
Harvey Mudd Transfer Requirements
- Joint application or coalition application. All applications require a personal essay. Harvey Mudd was undecided about which of the two programs he preferred.
- Application or waiver fee $70. Fee waivers are offered to people who can demonstrate financial need. Use the Common Application or Coalition Application to request a fee waiver. In order to confirm your request, the application platform may require your consultant to complete a payment waiver form. ACT, College Board, and NACAC fee waivers are also accepted.
- Additional text is required. There is a second essay and short answer to be completed detailing:
- What made you want to apply to Harvey Mudd College? What aspects of the HMC curriculum and community interest you? (maximum 500 words)
- Many students come to HMC because they don’t want to give up their passion for the Humanities, Social Sciences and Arts (or HSA as we call it at HMC). Briefly describe what you would like to learn in your ideal HSA class. (maximum 100 words)
- Interim report. If you are already registered, you will need to complete this form, which includes your midterm grades and instructor comments. If you are not attending classes in the spring semester, you do not need to complete this form.
- College/Transfer Report. To be completed by a counselor, student dean, or registrar.
- Two recommendations. Performed by college teachers.+
- A math or science teacher.
- A college lecturer in the humanities or social sciences.
- Official transcript from current college or university. Harvey needs transcripts from any colleges or universities you have previously attended.
- Official High School Final Transcript. They also require official transcripts from all other high schools you may have attended.
What Is The The Cost Of Tuition At Harvey Mudd College?
The cost of tuition at Harvey Mudd College is $60,703. Harvey Mudd College is more expensive than the national average at $43,337 for tuition.
Included in these statistics are tuition and fees, commonly referred to as sticker price. Library services, student gyms, student centers, technology resources, and campus wellness centers may be covered by a fee that varies by university.
When comparing the costs of different institutions, consider the total cost as well as the net price. The full price includes the sticker price, room and board, books and supplies, transportation and personal expenses.
What GPA Do I Need To Get Into Harvey Mudd College?
The average GPA at Harvey Mudd is 4.17. With a GPA of 4.17, Harvey Mudd requires you to be at the top of your class. You’ll need near A’s in all your classes to compete with other applicants.
Plus, you have to take tough classes — AP or IB courses — to show that college-level academics are a breeze.
If you’re a current junior or senior, it’s difficult to change your GPA in time for college. If your GPA is at or below the 4.17 high school GPA, you will need a higher SAT or ACT score to make up for it.
This will help you compete effectively with other applicants who have higher GPAs than you.
What is Harvey Mudd College SAT Score Requirement?
The average cumulative SAT score at Harvey Mudd is 1530 on an SAT scale of 1600. This score makes Harvey Mudd extremely competitive for SAT scores.
The 25th percentile of the New SAT is 1490, and the 75th percentile of the New SAT is 1560. In other words, a 1490 New SAT means you’re below average, while a 1560 puts you above average.
Your school’s scoring policy is an important part of your testing strategy. Harvey Mudd has an “All Results” point selection policy. This means that Harvey Mudd requires you to send every SAT score you’ve ever taken to their office.
It sounds scary, but most schools don’t actually count all of your scores equally. For example, if you score 1300 on one test and 1500 on another, they will not actually be averaged across the two tests.
What is Harvey Mudd College ACT Score Requirement?
The average ACT score at Harvey Mudd is 35. This score makes Harvey Mudd extremely competitive for ACT scores. The ACT 25th percentile is 34 and the 75th percentile is 35.
Even though Harvey Mudd probably says they don’t have a minimum ACT requirement, if you apply with a 34 or below, you’re going to have a very hard time getting in unless you have something else very impressive on your application.
There are so many applicants who scored 35 and above that 34 will look academically weak. If you take the ACT instead of the SAT, you have a huge advantage in how you submit your scores, and it dramatically affects your test-taking strategy.
What Are Harvey Mudd Decision Dates?
Harvey Mudd College offers early decision, but not early action. Early Decision is mandatory, meaning you must attend if you are admitted, while Early Action allows you to apply early without committing. Early Decision 2 applications are due by 1/5.
Harvey Mudd College’s early decision rate is 23%, compared to an overall acceptance rate of 18%. Last year, Harvey Mudd College accepted 93 of the 410 students who applied for early decision.
Some students apply to college early because they believe it will improve their chances. Early deadlines can increase your chances of being accepted because applying early shows that you are very interested in the school and your application is considered before all standard decision applicants apply.
- Jan. 5
Early Decision Deadline
- Nov. 5
Deadline for housing deposit
- May 3
How To Apply To Harvey Mudd College
International students can apply to Harvey Mudd College through the Common Application Portal and the Coalition Program. To apply to Harvey Mudd College, students must complete the processes described below:
- Log into the General Applications section and create an international application for Harvey Mudd College.
- Pay the application fees.
- Fill out the application form and submit it for consideration.
- Upload all relevant supporting documentation.
- Print acceptance letters as soon as your application is approved.
- Before confirming payment, you must confirm acceptance of the offer.
- Finally, make sure your personal information is up to date.
Note. Harvey Mudd College Application Fee is: USD 100
Program Portal: Common and Coalition Programs.
With an acceptance rate of 18 percent, admission to Harvey Mudd College is more selective. Half of Harvey Mudd College’s admitted students had an SAT score between 1490 and 1570 or an ACT score between 34 and 35.
However, one quarter of accepted applicants scored above these ranges, while another quarter scored below.
The Harvey Mudd College application deadline is January 5th and the application fee is $70. A student’s GPA is a very important academic factor for Harvey Mudd College admissions officers.
Harvey Mudd Acceptance Rate 2023 FAQs
Harvey Mudd College’s freshman retention rate is 92%. This is a good sign that full-time students like the school and their teachers enough to want to stay another year. It’s also a sign that the admissions team has done a good job selecting applicants who are a good fit for the school.
The on-time graduation rate for those pursuing a bachelor’s degree is typically four years. This Harvey Mudd College rate for first-time full-time students is 85%, which is better than the national average of 33.3%.
Post-graduation employment rates and average starting salaries can all provide important clues about the value of a degree at a particular institution. Within six months of graduation, 68% of graduates receive at least one full-time job offer.
The average starting salary for recent Harvey Mudd College graduates is $112,500 per year. Average starting salary varies by discipline, but the average starting salary for all 2021 graduates was around $60,000 per year.
Harvey Mudd College is a private university that specializes in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics fields, so a true passion for these academic fields is absolutely essential for the ideal Harvey Mudd student. Without a commitment to the challenges these fields bring, both inside and outside the classroom, Harvey Mudd students will not be able to flourish and develop to their fullest potential.
- studypoint.com – Harvey Mudd Admissions Information
- vastlearners.com – Harvey Mudd College Transfer Acceptance Rate
- Skidmore College Acceptance Rate 2023 | Admissions, Requirements, & How to Apply
- Colorado College Acceptance Rate 2023 | Admission, Requirements And How To Apply
- WPI Acceptance Rate 2023 | Admissions, Requirements, & How to Apply
- RIT Acceptance Rate 2023 | Admissions, Requirements, & How to Apply
- Amherst College Acceptance Rate 2023 | Admissions, Requirements, & How to Apply
- Vassar College Acceptance Rate 2023 | Admissions, Requirements, & How to Apply