Imperial College London Acceptance Rate: Here is a guide on ICL’s admission requirements for undergraduates and International masters students.
We came up with this piece in response to the questions our readers asked after going through the University of Oxford Acceptance Rate, Cambridge University Acceptance Rate, and other universities in the UK.
If you’re looking forward to studying at Imperial College London, you need to know the right information and requirements to apply. This is so because Imperial College London is one of the elite universities in London.
And as such, it attracts very intelligent students who are among the 10% in their high school class. This makes it a highly sought school making its admission process very selectively competitive.
And in turn, this accounts for the almost unreachable Imperial College London Acceptance Rate for English residents and international students.
However, in this guide, we have put together detailed information about ICL that clears the popular notion that getting into the Imperial College is impossible.
We say this because from the record, each year ICL accepts a number of students into the school. Although just a few students make it, you need to know the tricks, tips, and requirements that got them in.
Of course, it’s not just a desire!!!
Here, you will find out how to get into Imperial College London for undergraduate or masters studies regardless of the acceptance rate and admission requirements.
Following through this guide, you will find out that getting into Imperial College London is not that hard after all.
You will find reasonable tips to make your application outstanding from the pool of other hopefuls.
But before that, let’s give you insight into the elite Imperial College London!!!
About Imperial College London.
- Location: South Kensington, London, United Kingdom.
ICL is legally known as Imperial College of Science, Technology, and Medicine. It is a public research university in London founded in 1907.
However, in 1988, the Imperial College School of Medicine was established through a merger of St Mary’s Hospital Medical School.
And in 2004, the Imperial College Business School was established by Queen Elizabeth II.
Currently, Imperial College London has a student population of 19,400: Undergraduates 10,475, Postgraduates 8,925.
Out of this number, the Imperial students’ population has more than 59% international students from over 140 countries.
Just like its legal name signifies, ICL focuses on science, technology, medicine, and business.
As one of the topmost Public universities in London, Imperial has been researched pioneer for a long time. Its unique education method has carved a space for it in the international education system. Mainly for profound research and teaching excellence.
Following its goals, Imperial College aims at producing notable scientists, academicians, and researchers in various disciplines.
University of Oxford Rankings
- #7 in QS World University Rankings, 2022.
- #30 in Graduate Employability Rankings by QS World University Rankings, 2022.
- #6 in QS WUR Ranking by Subject for Petroleum Engineering, 2022.
- #11 in World University Rankings according to Times Higher Education, 2021.
- #20 in Best Global Universities by US News and World Report, 2021.
- #4 in Best Global Universities in Europe by US News and World Report, 2021.
- #4 in Best Global Universities in the UK by US News and World Report, 2021.
Is Imperial College London A Good School?
In the list of top 10 colleges in the UK, Imperial College is the list. Although not as old as Oxford or Cambridge, the Imperial College London has over 100 years of reputation in offering quality and unique education.
Its unique education method has carved a space for it in the international education system. Mainly for profound research and teaching excellence.
Besides that, Imperial College London proudly ranks in good positions in different University ranking lists as one of the best Universities in the United Kingdom and the world at large.
Is Getting into Imperial College London Hard?
Compared to the acceptance rate of universities in the USA, getting into Imperial College London is not that hard for international students.
However, when the cards are placed alongside other UK universities, you need to be a little extra to get into the Imperial College London.
It’s like fighting for first place in a competition with fellow highly intelligent students.
However, if your application fits the description of the admission committee idea of the perfect “Imperial College London Student”, then you’re in.
What this means is that you have to be a little extra besides academics to impress the Admission Committee of Imperial College London to get past the acceptance rate into any course of your choice.
To be able to do this, you must have the requirements and a phenomenal profile that says “I’m the Perfect Student”.
Your personal chances of acceptance depend on the strength of your profile.
This we will discuss further as we proceed!!!
What Courses Do Imperial College Offer To International Students Who Get Past the Acceptance Rate?
ICL has a lot of courses for students that are housed in different departments and divisions.
There are about 6,700 degrees available in the school from various disciplines.
As we stated Imperial College London courses are housed under the following divisions;
- Natural Sciences
The graduate courses offered in Imperial College London offers over 250 degrees in
- STEM courses.
- Medicine studies.
- Business programmes.
As a research-intensive college, Imperial College London’s world-renowned research centers and groups of the college are:
- Data Science Institute.
- UG Research Opportunities.
- Center for Hedge Fund Research.
- Institute of Global Health Innovation.
Through the Imperial College London undergraduate research programs, the University provides research opportunities to over 400 students every year.
What Is the Imperial College London Acceptance Rate For International Students?
Imperial College is one of the elite schools in London.
The acceptance rate at Imperial College for undergraduate, masters, and PhD students is selective.
The imperial college maintained an average acceptance rate of 18% for quite some time.
However, in 2015 the acceptance rate of Imperial College London dropped to 14.5%.
Through records, we see that the applications to admissions rate decreased from 6.2 to 6.1 in 2015.
What is Imperial College London Admission Statistics?
Presented below is the five-year student acceptance trend across all Imperial graduate and undergraduate programs.
|Average Entry Tariff||566||567||552||219||n/a|
Source: Imperial College London
This shows the admission rate of Imperial College London is not a smooth ride.
The latest university rankings have just been released, and Europe is home to some of the world’s most…
If you’re looking for the top Day 1 CPT universities in the United States for 2023, then look…
Easiest Ivy League Schools: Is getting into an Ivy League school a dream you hope to achieve? If…
Accredited Esthetician Schools New York City: Professionals who want to become medical estheticians in the State are required…
Studying at the University of St Andrew is a rewarding experience but this experience is limited to a…
If you want to get into Scripps College, the first thing to consider is Scripps college acceptance rate.…
What Are The Requirements to Get Admission Into Imperial College London?
Before we talk about the acceptance and admission rate of the Imperial College London for international students, we need to let you know the requirements you need to stand a better chance.
For clarity, we have sectioned this part to give you an easy guide.
The institution has particularly stated its criteria for applicants as follows:
Eligibility Requirements for the Imperial College London Admission.
Eligibility Requirements for Undergraduate International Students
- Proof of English proficiency from IELTS, TOEFL, or PTE Academic.
- Must meet the basic school education requirements.
Eligibility Requirements for Masters International Students
- Bachelor’s degree.
- GRE (optional): Minimum score of 300
- Minimum of 7.5 to 8 GPA on a scale of 10.
- Proof of English proficiency from IELTS 6.5, TOEFL 92, or PTE Academic 62.
Eligibility Requirements for Business Courses (MBA).
- GMAT: Minimum score of 650.
- Minimum CGPA 8.5/10 in high school.
- Bachelor’s degree with a 75% aggregate.
- Minimum of three years of work experience.
- Proof of English proficiency from IELTS 7 or TOEFL 100.
Eligibility Requirements for Research Courses (PhD)
- Bachelor’s degree or a master’s degree.
To have a better understanding, visit the exact course page on the official website and check the ‘Entry Requirements’.
Documents Required for the Imperial College London Admission.
Once you’ve checked your eligibility to study in Imperial College, you need to ready your supporting documents to get past the acceptance rate.
Form of Documents To Be Submitted For The Imperial College London Admission
- Must be in PDF, JPG, or PNG format.
- All documents must be in English language.
- Documents should be less than 4MB in size.
- All documents should be written by the candidates.
Documents Required For Imperial College London Admission Application.
- Standardized exam score.
- Official academic transcripts.
- English proficiency test score.
- Proof of work experience (mandatory in MBA).
- Admission essays (as per course requirements).
- 2-3 references/LORs (as per course requirements).
- Statement of purpose or personal statement (as per course requirements).
- Student CV/academic resume (as per course requirements).
NOTE: Keep in mind that these are the general requirements, there may be additional requirements that are course-specific.
How Do I Get Into Imperial College?
Now you know the requirements and essential documents, next are to know what the Imperial college London acceptance rate is for both undergraduate and masters international students and locals in 2022.
How do you get into Imperial College London?
Here are the steps to maximize your chances of getting into Imperial College.
- Maintain a GPA of at least a 3.25.
- Be active in extracurricular activities that align with Imperial college values.
- Have a track record of personal growth, leadership and other less quantifiable characteristics.
- Write a stellar essay that shows the Imperial College admission committee about you.
- Get at least one recommendation letter from a teacher in that department.
- Apply before the deadline.
What do the Imperial College London Look Out For in students?
Imperial’s admission committee evaluates each profile based on the students’ competencies.
This they evaluate in line with a statement of purpose with examples.
There are two competency standards:
- EEE Competency Standard
- EIE Competency Standard
To get past the admission committee, here is what you can do to apply and get past the Imperial College London acceptance rate;
- Build your profile to a high level of accomplishment in whatever area you excel at. Ensure you show yourself as a leader in your field.
- Focus your application on giving back to the community through high-impact activities.
- Do your best to level up as much as possible in your high school career. At least be in the top 10%.
- Take the time to research about the school before starting your supplemental essays. SHOW rather than tell why you’re a good fit for Imperial College and how you’ll contribute to their community.
How Do I Apply to Imperial College London as an International Student?
The international undergraduate applications for Imperial College follow the same process as other UK applicants via UCAS Common Application.
Undergraduate Imperial College London Application
For the undergraduate studies application, here is the Admission Process:
- Visit www.ucas.com/students.
- Click on ‘Create Account’ to create a new user account.
- Fill up the signup form with details such as name, date of birth etc.
- Enter an active email address.
- Select a password of 8 to 12 characters with at least 1 number and 1 letter.
- Read the data protection statement and accept it.
- Click on ‘Proceed’ and your account is live.
- Then Apply.
Undergraduate applicants can choose up to five courses.
Graduate and Research Imperial College London Application.
- Graduate applicants may choose up to two programmes.
- Students can apply at imperialuk.elluciancrmrecruit.com/Apply/Account/Create
Step-by-step Guide On Imperial College London Application Process.
- Create a new account.
- Activate the account through the email sent by the college.
- Click on ‘Update Profile’ to update.
- Click on ‘Create New Application’.
- Choose a programme to pursue.
- Select course type, programme, and entry term.
- Fill the information and complete the following sections:
- Marketing information
- Confidential information
- Additional information (if any)
- Academic experiences (background)
- Proposed studies and personal information
- Additional qualifications (work experience or relevant certifications)
- Submission (of all the documents and proof of information just filled)
- Read the information and make the application payment.
Before you apply to Imperial College, do this;
- Ready your documents which include the English language requirements, visa and immigration information.
- Provide two or more essays and research proposals stating your intent and purpose of applying for a particular course in Imperial.
- After submission, the Imperial admission committee will review and call you for an interview if they’re impressed.
- The interviews and tests are different for international candidates for English language, visa, and immigration reasons.
Frequently Asked Questions About The Imperial College London Acceptance Rate for International Students.
What Is the Imperial College Application Fee?
International applicants pay an application fee according to the program type.
The most expensive application fee is that for MBA while PhD application is free.
- Bachelor Degrees: £20
- Master Degrees: £80
- MBA: £135
- PhD: Free
What is the Tuition Cost of Imperial College London?
Kindly note that the fee structure of courses offered by the university varies.
The tuition cost for international students for various courses offered at Imperial College are given below:
- Bachelor Degrees: £30,000 – £31,000
- Master Degrees: £28,000 – £32,500
- MBA: £54,500
- PhD: £22,000 – £37,200
Source: Imperial College London
Who Can Apply For Application Fee Waiver at Imperial College?
Graduate students can apply for a fee waivers. However, you need to demonstrate financial hardship.
After Which you will fill out the Imperial application fee waiver request form and send it along with the supporting documents to [email protected].
Is There Any Form of Financial Aid Available for International Students At Imperial College?
Absolutely, the list of scholarships offered by Imperial College is inexhaustible.
Imperial College works with major global organizations to offer scholarship opportunities to its international students.
Some of these scholarships include;
- USA scholarships.
- PhD Studentships
- External Scholarships
- Research Scholarships
- East Asia scholarships.
- Latin American scholarships.
- Commonwealth scholarships.
- President’s PhD Scholarship Scheme
- The Middle East and South Asia scholarships.
When Does Imperial College Start Enrolling Students?
The Imperial College offers three intakes in a year:
- Block A: Mid-October to mid-November.
- Block B: Mid-November to mid-December.
- Block A: Late January to mid-February.
- Block B: Late February to mid-March.
- Block A: Late April to late May*
- Block B: Late May to mid-June*
When are the Imperial Application Deadlines?
The application deadline for Imperial College application is Mid-January for all undergraduate and masters courses.
Deadline for students MBA program:
- Round 1: September end.
- Round 2: Early November.
- And Round 3: January end.
Does Imperial College London Consider Extracurricular Activities As A criteria to Get Past the Acceptance and Admission Rate?
Yes, Imperial College considers extracurricular activities but not the only criteria for application.
When Will I Hear From Imperial After Submitting My Application?
All application decisions are published on the university’s official website within eight weeks of receiving an application.
Can I Work While Studying At Imperial College?
Yes, Imperial College London allows undergraduate, master’s, and postdoctoral students to work while studying under certain conditions.
However, this condition only allows students to work part-time during their study tenure.
To know if you’re eligible, you need to check your eligibility via these conditions:
- Students who are pursuing full-time bachelor’s degrees are eligible to work part time.
- Master’s students may work during the official College Christmas and Easter closure times.
- The option of working during the vacation does not apply to master’s students at Imperial College.
- Students pursuing short-term courses are not eligible to work while studying
- Students are allowed to work a maximum 20 hours per week and full time during vacation.
Whom Should I Contact At Imperial College London?
You may reach the Imperial College website and contact the international office at:
- Website: www.imperial.ac.uk
- Telephone: +44 (0)20 7589 5111
- Email: [email protected]; [email protected]
Can International Students Apply to Imperial College London?
Yes, international students can apply to Oxford. In fact, international students have a whopping 64% of the Imperial student population which is about 9,720.
The top 10 countries, apart from the United Kingdom, to have produced the maximum Imperial scholars are:
- Hong Kong
What GPA Do I Need To Get Into Imperial?
To be considered for admission to a Master’s program in Imperial applicants should hold a Bachelor’s degree with an overall GPA of 3.25/4 or better.
Does the Imperial College London Require An Interview?
Yes, once you’re considered a possible Imperial student, you will need to have an interview.
Do I need to travel to Imperial for an interview?
No. If an interview is part of the admissions process for your course, the department will contact you directly to arrange for this to be conducted via a suitable online platform
I have a GMAT/GRE offer condition – how do I make sure you receive my scores?
If you have been asked to take a GMAT or GRE test as part of your application or this is part of your offer conditions, you should release your scores to Imperial online. Doing so will allow the relevant Admissions team to verify your results online.
You can also email a copy of your results to the relevant Admissions team.
Please note: the ETS will make an online GRE at Home test available in certain regions. Imperial will accept this version of the GRE
The University of Oxford remains one of the best schools in the world with a considerable moderate acceptance rate for international students.
Follow through our recommendation on the admission requirements, GPA and test scores to get admission into oxford.
You will definitely be one of those who get into the University of Oxford regardless of the 2022 acceptance rate for locals and international students.
We hope the information above helps you in your decision to study at the University of Oxford.
Good Luck And Success!!!