Stanford Medical School Acceptance Rate: Studying medicine at Stanford University requires you Get A Good MCAT Score to get past the admission rate.
We have put up this guide to help students seeking to gain admission into Stanford medical school but do not believe getting into Stanford is impossible.
Following our article on Stanford University Acceptance Rate 2022, most of our readers wanted to find out if the same acceptance rate applies to Stanford Medical School.
It’s sad news but the general acceptance rate at Stanford is higher than its med school.
But the good news is that each year, Stanford graduates students from all walks of life, how did they make it in?
Not to worry, we are going to let you know how to get into Stanford med school regardless of the admission difficulty.
Aside from Stanford medical school being an elite college, what makes the admission process highly selective is the low acceptance rate.
This will let you know how to bypass it effortlessly!!!
Beyond that, we show you the ideal requirements for the 2022 admissions, the required MCAT score, and the GPA for studying medicine in Stanford med school.
Following through this guide, you will find out that getting into Stanford is not that hard after all.
You will find reasonable tips to make your application stand out from the crowd!
If that’s what you desire, allow me to walk you through these few minutes read.
But first, let’s talk about Stanford Medical School!!!
Also Read: 21+ Medical Majors in College | Undergraduate Majors To Prepare For Medical School.
An Overview Of Stanford Medical School.
- Location: 291 Campus Drive, Stanford, CA 94305, United States.
Stanford University School of Medicine was founded in 1858 and traces its roots to the Medical Department of the University of the Pacific.
Among California medical schools, Stanford School of Medicine is one of the most competitive programs.
Stanford Med School aims to be a premier research-intensive medical school that improves health through leadership, diversity, and a collaborative approach to discovery and innovation in patient care, education, and research.
Stanford Med School is the leader in the biomedical revolution. They have a long tradition of being tops in ground-breaking research, creative teaching protocols, and effective clinical therapies.
Its curriculum is innovative and medical students are taught by world-renowned instructors.
Each year, Stanford Medical School admits exceptional scholars, researchers, and professionals into its program.
However, to make it into the few successful ones you have to make it past the acceptance rate of Stanford Medical School.
Is Stanford University Medical School A Good School?
Without stressing the fact, Stanford University has a track record of academic excellence and that includes med school.
This we see in its position in different University ranking lists.
What Are the Medical Programs Available in Stanford University Medical School?
Stanford med school has 9 medical programs in which students can register.
Here’s a peek into the medical programs at Stanford University Medical School;
- MD program
- The MD/PhD program
- MD/Berg Scholars Program
- The MD/MBA program
- The MD/MPH Program
- PhD/MSM Program
- MD/MS Degrees
- MD/MPP Degree
- The MD/JD Program
Kindly note that these programs at Stanford medical school have different acceptance rates.
How Does Stanford Medical School Work?
Stanford University Medical School has its own designed improved academic curriculum called the Discovery Curriculum.
This curriculum differs from the curriculum of most medical schools in California and the world at large.
Here’s what going to Stanford Med School looks like;
- All students complete the same courses during the first year.
- MD students can complete their programs at a personalized pace.
- Pre-clerkship requirement at Stanford takes just two or three years.
- After pre-clerkship courses, students can go for independent research, dual degrees, or other courses that contribute to being a future physician.
- The pre-clerkship program has courses that expose medical students to earlier clinical experience.
- Stanford Med school students learn pharmacology, strengthen core concepts, and promote a deeper understanding of advanced topics.
- Students can choose to take the USMLE Step 1 exam immediately after their pre-clerkship curriculum or in the first clinical year.
Is it Difficult To Get Into Stanford Medical School?
Stanford Med school is no easy nut to crack when it comes to admission.
Regardless of how good your application says you are, you need something more than “to impress” to get to study medicine in Stanford Medical School.
This is so because Stanford Medical School Acceptance Rate is extremely low. Little wonder many students who consider studying in Stanford medicine school want to know how tough it can be.
However, to get past this high admission difficulty, you must have the required GPA and MCAT score requirements for Stanford Med School.
Also, your profile has been phenomenal. Your personal chances of acceptance depend on the strength of your profile.
This we will discuss further as we proceed!!!
Also Read: UCLA Medical School Acceptance Rate 2022|How To Apply
What Is Stanford Medical School Acceptance Rate For Admission?
Stanford Med School is highly selective.
Currently, the acceptance rate at Stanford Medical School is 1.19%. Therefore, out of every 100 candidates, only 2 students get admission.
Last year, the school had 7506 applications but only 480 got an invitation for an interview and just 90 students were not admitted.
That’s pretty heartbreaking!!!
What’s the Eligibility Criteria to Enter Stanford Medical School?.
Not all students can send in their admission applications to study medicine in Stanford. You must be eligible if you want to stand a chance to be in for admission.
Here are the eligibility criteria to apply to Stanford Medical School;
- Students from all nations can apply to Stanford Med School.
- Applicants such as US citizens, permanent US residents with a valid visa, individuals who’ve been granted Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) by the US Citizenship and Immigration Services can apply.
- All international students must have at least 1 year academic experience at a school in the US, Canada, or the UK before applying.
- All applicants must have a Bachelor’s degree at the time of matriculation.
- Students’ MCAT score for Stanford medical school admission application must be written within four years before matriculation year.
What Are The Recommended Prerequisite Courses For Stanford Medical School?
Stanford Medicine school does not have specific course prerequisites.
However, they recommend all intending medical students prepare by taking appropriate science and non-science courses.
The applicants that want to study medicine in Stanford must demonstrate having knowledge and experience in:
- Fluency in a foreign language.
- Behavioral and Social Sciences.
- Laboratory or Field Experiments.
- 1 year of biology with a lab.
- 1 year of physics with a lab.
- 2 years of chemistry with lab (general, organic, physical, and biochemistry).
The 10 best universities in Europe, according to new rankings
The latest university rankings have just been released, and Europe is home to some of the world’s most…
Top 21 Day 1 CPT Universities in the United States for 2023
If you’re looking for the top Day 1 CPT universities in the United States for 2023, then look…
Easiest Ivy League Schools to Get into | A complete Guide 2023
Easiest Ivy League Schools: Is getting into an Ivy League school a dream you hope to achieve? If…
21+ Accredited Esthetician Schools New York to get into 2023
Accredited Esthetician Schools New York City: Professionals who want to become medical estheticians in the State are required…
University of St Andrews Acceptance Rate 2023 | Admissions, Requirements, & How to Apply
Studying at the University of St Andrew is a rewarding experience but this experience is limited to a…
Scripps College Acceptance Rate 2023 | Admissions, Requirements, & How to Apply
If you want to get into Scripps College, the first thing to consider is Scripps college acceptance rate.…
What Does Stanford Medical School Look Out For To Admit Students?
There are a lot of factors put into consideration during the admission process at Stanford.
If you really want to get into Stanford medical school, here are some of the selection factors that make you stand out during the selection process;
#1. MCAT Score.
Getting into Stanford Medicine School is no easy task. One of the factors that is unavoidable is the MCAT score.
The required Stanford MCAT score is 519.
An MCAT score of 519 is exceedingly difficult for most students to achieve even the exceptional one.
The MCAT score is one of the factors that make the Stanford medical school acceptance rate very low.
Note: Stanford uses the Superscoring system for MCAT scores. They look at MCAT scores from all the times you took the exam and combine all the scores of the sections to make your cumulative score higher.
#2. GPA Score
The average accepted GPA at Stanford Medical School is 3.89. Some schools will consider applicants with a GPA lower than this, but Stanford Medical School will not.
In fact, students with lower GPAs are easily removed
Also Read: 21+ Medical Schools In Uk For International Students 2022
#3. Applicant Essays
Another selection factor that gets you past the acceptance rate at Stanford Medical School is your application essay. Stanford puts a lot of value into the personal statement and secondary essays.
Your personal statement is an opportunity to share your story and why you want to become a physician.
Tips to write an outstanding application essay for Stanford medical school;
- You must write your personal statement well and cohesive.
- Also, it should describe the process of how and why you decided to apply to Stanford Med School.
- Also your essay should have personal examples that demonstrate the steps you took to explore the medical field and how they affected your decision to apply.
- Ensure you include the exact specialty you want to pursue and general thoughts on the direction you’d like to take.
Essay topics or the Secondary Application Prompts to apply for Stanford medical school;
- Share unique, personally important, and/or challenging factors in your background, such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, culture, race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, and life or work experiences. Please discuss how factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine (2000 characters)
- What do you see as the most likely practice scenario for your future medical career? (1000 characters). You’re to choose just one answer amongst the following;
- Primary Care.
- Global Health.
- Health Policy.
- Health Administration.
- Academic Medicine (Clinical).
- Public Health/Community Health.
- Non-Academic Clinical Practice.
- Academic Medicine (Physician-Scientist).
- Why do you feel you are particularly suited for this practice scenario? What knowledge, skills, and attitudes have you developed that have prepared you for this career path? (1000 characters)
- How will the Stanford curriculum, and specifically the requirement for a scholarly concentration, help your personal career goals? (1000 characters)
- Please include anything else that will help us understand better how you may uniquely contribute to Stanford Medicine? (OPTIONAL)(1000 characters)
#4. Recommendation Letters
Another selection factor that the admission committee looks out for to get your application past the acceptance rate at Stanford Medical School is your recommendation letters.
Here’s how to get a Stanford Medical School Recommendation Letter;
- Stanford med school accepts three recommendation letter options: Committee Letter, Letter Packet, and Individual Letter.
- Stanford requests a minimum of three and a maximum of six individual letters of recommendation.
- All recommendation letters must have an official letterhead and are signed by the author or committee.
- Keep in mind that Committee letters are not mandatory therefore, it will not substitute individual recommendations.
- Also, all recommendation letters are to be submitted through the online application system.
- Also, you will submit the names and contact information, including email addresses of your writers.
#5. Extracurriculars Activities
Just like one of the factors to get past Yale University Acceptance Rate in 2022 is the extracurricular activities same applies to Stanford Medical School.
You must have participated in a variety of extracurricular activities relating to medicine before matriculating.
They consider extracurricular activities because it shows how you have explored the practical and social aspects of the medical profession.
Tips on how to include your extracurricular activities for Stanford Medical School;
- Quality always trumps quantity.
- Focus on the relevant extracurricular activities.
- Include extracurricular activities where you took on leadership roles.
- Include activities where you started your own program or project. Maybe where you arranged a mentorship program or organized a pre-med student colloquium.
- Also, your extracurriculars must show initiative and dedication to the betterment of humanity.
If all the above selection criteria are fully met, you will be invited for an interview which also determines whether or not you make it past the low acceptance rate of Stanford Medical School.
Here’s what you need to know about Stanford Medical School interviews;
- Stanford holds Multiple Mini Interviews (MMI).
- The interviews are facilitated in a specifically designed simulation floor which allows smooth relocation of students from room to room.
- Prepare for the different types of MMI questions you might face by going over samples of MMI questions.
How Do I Apply to Stanford Med School?
Applying to Stanford’s medical school requires lots of preparation. Here is what you can do to apply and get past the Stanford Medical School acceptance rate;
- Build your profile to a high level of accomplishment in whatever area you excel at. Ensure you show yourself as a leader in your field.
- Focus your application on giving back to the community through high-impact activities.
- Do your best to level up as much as possible in your high school career. At least be in the top 10%.
- Take the time to research about the school before starting your supplemental essays. SHOW rather than tell why you’re a good fit for Stanford and how you’ll contribute to their community.
How Do I Improve My Chances of Getting into Stanford University Medicine School?
Now in this section, you don’t have to just scroll past.
This is what makes the difference in your admission application to Stanford’s Med School.
Both international students and residents can apply this and successfully get past the Stanford Medical School acceptance rate.
Here’s what you can do to improve your chances of getting into Stanford’s Med School;
- Apply early.
- Have the required GPA of 3.98.
- Aim for an MCAT score of 519.
- Write engaging phenomenal essays.
- Be involved in extracurricular activities.
- Write an outstanding recommendation letter.
Also Read: Medical School Scholarships for International Students In Canada 2022
Can International Students Apply to Stanford Medical School?
Yes, international students can apply to Stanford’s medical school.
The last year’s matriculation report shows that matriculants represented 24 states and 4 countries.
And also both local and international students have the same acceptance rate at Stanford Medical School.
Also, the application process is the same for all students except for a few minor differences.
If you’re a Non-native English-speaker, you’re required to take one of the following English language proficiency tests:
- Duolingo English Test (DET)
- Pearson Test of English (PTE)
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
What is Stanford Medical School Tuition?
Everyone understands that medical school is not cheap. Part of the reason that visiting a doctor is so expensive is that the physicians and nurses who care for patients spend a lot of money gaining the knowledge they require.
This is not an exception at Geffen Med. Students living in an off-campus residence should budget $83,182 for their first year of medical school.
That works out to $25,274 for housing and board, roughly $5,000 for transportation and books and supplies, $2,625 for other fees, and $45,306 for tuition.
That is, without a doubt, a large sum of money. However, there are a few factors that can alter the situation. Tuition will cost you $45,306 per year, no matter what. Nothing is going to change that.
However, the cost of books and materials will fall over the next three years, to the point where year four will only cost $570. Furthermore, living with a friend or seeking alternate transportation choices, such as biking or carpooling, can drastically reduce your expenses.
It’s also vital to compare these prices to those of other schools of comparable quality. Students at Stanford Medicine, for example, may expect to pay more than $62,000 per year in tuition, books, and other expenses. Of course, there are factors that can reduce that amount, but it’s evident that exceptional institutions are highly expensive.
Stanford Medical School Notable Alumni
Stanford Medical School’s outstanding reputation is based on more than simply its research and name. The school has produced some of the most well-known figures in medicine, physicians who have expanded our understanding of the human body.
Irving Weissman pioneered methods for detecting stem cells after graduating from Stanford Medical School in 1965. Several prizes including election to the National Academy of Sciences have been bestowed upon him for his contributions.
Dr. Weissman is currently a director at the Stanford Institute of Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine.
Graduate Randall Griepp assisted in the first successful heart transplant in the United States. Griepp’s study has resulted in nearly $8 million in National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute funding.
He is currently a cardiothoracic surgery professor at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai in New York City.
Stanford Medical School has produced luminaries in a variety of professions, in addition to these excellent doctors. Cheri Blauwet, a 2009 graduate, has established herself as a recognized medical practitioner and professor, although she is best known for her Paralympic wheelchair racing successes.
Blauwet has won numerous medals, including a silver medal in the 100-meter dash in 2000 and a gold medal in the 800-meter dash in 2004.
As these instances show, Stanford Medical equips its students for success in whichever career path they choose.
Frequently Asked Questions About The Stanford Medical School Acceptance Rate.
What GPA Do I Need To Get Into Stanford Medical School?
Any GPA above 3.98 is ideal for Stanford med school admission requirements.
Can I Get Into Stanford Medical School With A 3.7 GPA?
Yes, it’s certainly possible to get into Stanford’s Med School University with a 3.8 GPA or even less.
However, your chances are dependent on your other qualifications as well as the competencies of the other applicants.
But what we do recommend to avoid rejection letters is a higher GPA.
What is the Minimum MCAT score for Stanford Medical School?
The minimum MCAT score for Stanford medical school is 519.
What is the cost of studying at Stanford Medical School?
Tuition and fees for in-state and out-of-state students: $61,328. While the total cost of attendance: $99,895 per year
When is the Application Deadlines For Stanford’s Med School?
- May: Primary application is available on AMCAS
- July – November: AMCAS applications are received and Stanford Supplemental Application invitations are sent.
- Mid October: AMCAS application deadline
- Early November: Deadline for submitting Stanford supplemental application and all application materials
What Kind Of Undergraduate Degree is Required For Stanford Medical School?
All kinds of disciplines are accepted for the MD program in Stanford medical school.
Does Stanford Accept Transfer Students?
Stanford Medical School does not accept any transfer students.
Can I Submit My Letters Of Recommendation After My Application?
The application deadline is final and all files must be submitted at the stated date.
Does Stanford Medical School Have Funding Opportunities?
Stanford Medical School offers different types of financial aid to its students.
- Institutional aid
- Stanford loan
- Federal loans
- External Funding Resources
We hope you follow through our recommendation on the admission requirements, GPA and MCAT score to get admission into Stanford medicine School.
You will definitely be one of those who get into Stanford med School regardless of the 2022 acceptance rate for locals and international students.