Do you want to know How to Study Abroad in Shanghai? This article is a complete guide.
Studying in Shanghai, a city in China is a plus for international students and indigenous students. The Universities offer you a world-class experience in the education field and the adventurous city ices your studies with an awesome and lively experience.
The city of Shanghai welcomes warmly international students to study and to have a good time which leaves the students with timeless memories. The universities in Shanghai are top-notch in diverse fields of study.
The degrees are recognized worldwide and immense value is attached to them. Are you a student who applied to study in Shanghai or you are seeking a university to study abroad, this invaluable piece is for you? We have put together vital information that will guide you in your search to study abroad in Shanghai.
WHY STUDY IN SHANGHAI
The degrees obtained in Shanghai Universities are worldly recognized. You have an advantage over others in the labour market.
This stems from the fact that you are able to tackle the challenges of the language barrier, cultural barrier, culinary adaptation, these are qualities that intrigue employers.
Furthermore, Shanghai Universities permit you to work while you study. This adds to your wealth of experience, increases your worth in your Curriculum Vitae, and eases off financial stress while you study hitches free.
There are twenty-eight Universities and Colleges in Shanghai. These institutions offers you a wide range of options.
China as a country has positioned itself as a major entity in several industries including Technology and the production of household items and with the numerous and yet increasing companies and start-up firms, you have several options for internship and employment opportunities after school.
Shanghai institutions welcomes international students. The city is safe and violence free. Number Safety Index numbers Shanghai as number 133 out of 374 cities globally in the aspect of safety.
Shanghai, is known for its rich history. It has several cultural sites, museums that display Jewish history, arts, and automobiles. There are three amusement parks including the popular Disneyland Shanghai (the Largest Disney park in Asia).
This is of great benefit to students who want to major in history and international studies, arts, and students who long to feast on the adventures Shanghai offers.
Shanghai habours numerous international students. About 2,500 international students are enrolled in Fudan university. This gives you the opportunity to meet and make friends with students from more than 80 different countries of the world.
You have several programmes to choose from. Universities in Shanghai offers diverse courses: medicine, arts, law, mechanics, math, physics, chemistry, life sciences, engineering from undergraduate level to PhD level.
Outstanding performance in the universities qualifies you as a potential candidate for the scholarships given to international students by the Shanghai government.
FACTS ABOUT SHANGHAI
Shanghai is located on the East Coast of China. It is equally known as “The Paris of the East,” “Pearl of the Orient,” “Gateway to the World.” Shanghai means literally “upon the sea.”
One of the largest cities in the world with a teeming population of about five million people from different parts of the world. This is about eight times larger than New York City.
A contrast of modern and traditional attributes. It holds high its heritage and rich history- there are modern hotels and also parks like “People’s Square,” which is filled with local practicing Tai Chi. There are ancient architectures alongside skyscrapers.
There are several museums: Shanghai Museum, Shan Urban Planning Museum.
The city allows you to use your Chinese Students’ Visa as a ticket to explore different regions of the country- Great walls of China, snow capped mountains, beaches, terraced hills, river-valleys which are all in China. China has 56 distinct ethnic groups.
How to Study Abroad in Shanghai
A greater population than you think can speak basic English in Shanghai. Shanghai requires all schools to teach English language as from first grade of the students.
There are four different seasons: spring, summer, autumn and winter. The climate is generally known to be humid, subtropical. Shanghai is coldest in January at a temperature of 8.1 Degrees Celsius and 32 Degrees Celsius when it is hottest in July.
Leadership in Technology. China has a popular messaging app- WeChat. The app has an integrated payment system known as WeChat wallet generally accepted in China including Shanghai.
It is used for a mobile top-up, taxis, meals, shopping payments and to transfer funds. You will need a Chinese bank account to operate the app.
TUITION FEE IN SHANGHAI
The average tuition fee for public universities in Shanghai costs 2,300 -10,000 USD/year. The public universities are cheaper compared to the private schools.
If your pocket cannot afford the fee of private institutions, you can consider public institutions.
The tuition fee for private universities is within the range 30,000 – 40,000 USD/year. The tuition fee is higher for institutions built by other countries.
The New York University (NYU) Shanghai was established alongside the East China Normal University of Shanghai costs greater than 50,000 USD/year.
There are other costs such as books and study materials which costs averagely 30 – 50 USD/semester. It is more for students of medicine, arts and sciences.
COST OF LIVING IN SHANGHAI AS AN INTERNATIONAL STUDENT
Students’ residential halls costs 150 – 400 USD/month.
Rented apartment (one bedroom) costs 300 – 1000 USD/month.
Living with a Chinese family costs 350 – 550 USD/month.
Sharing apartment makes accommodation cheaper be it school residences or rented apartments.
Security deposit is made mostly by students in the school residences: 300-460 USD.
Utility costs about 50 USD/month.
Transportation is achieved with ease in Shanghai. There are trains, taxes, bikes. There are two airports, four train stations that make trips daily to cities like Beijing, Guangzhou, Nanjing, Suzhou. It is easy to get to Asian countries like South Korea, Thailand, Japan and Philippines.
Metro ride: 0.5 USD
City bus: 0.3 USD
20 minutes taxi per km: 0.33 USD
Generally, transportation will cost about 15-20 USD/month.
Medical insurance costs 60 USD for 6 months.
There are various restaurants in Shanghai. With special delicacies like sweet and sour fish, moon cakes, sweet rice ball soup, soup dumplings. There are American, Thailand, Italian cuisines.
A meal in University canteen (local restaurant/a fast food chain) costs 1-4 USD. Mid range dining ( both Chinese and International dishes) costs 4-7 USD.
Purchasing foods food from local super markets costs 170-200 USD/month. One big shopping bag full of fruits will cost 2-3 USD.
It is better to cook your food as that is cheaper or you can cook together with roommates. You learn new recipes and the cost is cheaper compared to buying food.
LIST OF UNIVERSITIES TO STUDY IN SHANGHAI
There are numerous popular universities, institutes and academies in Shanghai.
Shanghai Jiao Tong University
It is a popular, well respected university in China. It was founded in 1896. There are many teachers and professors and about 30,000 students. Jiao Tong University has five campuses in different areas of the city.
- Xuhui Campus: No. 1954, Huashan Road, Xuhui District
- Luwan Campus: No. 227, South Chongqing Road, Huangpu District
- Fahua Campus: No. 535, Fahuazhen Road, Changning District
- Qibao Campus: No. 2678, Qixin Road, Minhang District
- Minhang Campus: No. 800, Dongchuan Road, Minhang District
Fudan university was founded in 1905. It is a popular university in Shanghai known for its proven standards in education. There are four campuses and twenty-nine: colleges. NevThere Handano. 825, Zhangheng Road, Zhangjiang Hi-Tech Park, Pudong New Area, Jiangwan Campus: No. 2005, Songhu Road, Yangpu District.
Shanghai International Studies University
This institution teaches the courses in English language. It majors in other foreign languages. There are four campuses in the university:
- Siping Campus: No. 1239, Siping Road, Yangpu District
- Huxi Campus: No. 500, Zhennan Road, Putuo District
- Hubei Campus: No. 727, North Zhongshan Road, Jing’an District
- Jiading Campus: No. 4800, Cao’an Highway, Jiading District
University of Shanghai for Science and Technology
- Yangpu Campus: No. 516, Jungong Road, Yangpu District
- Fuxing Road Campus: No. 1195, Middle Fuxing Road, Xuhui District
- Shuifeng Road Campus: No. 100, Shuifeng Road
Shanghai University of Finance and Economics
- Guoding Road Campus: No. 777, Guoding Road, Yangpu District
- Wudong Road Campus: No. 100, Wudong Road, Yangpu District
- North Zhongshan 1st Road Campus: No. 369, North Zhongshan 1st Road, Hongkou District
Shanghai Finance University
- Pudong Campus: No. 995, Shangchuan Road, Pudong New Area
- Hanzhong Road Campus: 6F, Hanzhong Plaza, No. 158, Hanzhong Road, Jing’an District
- Xuhui Campus: No. 2230, West Zhongshan Road, Xuhui District
Shanghai Normal University
Being one of the top universities in Shanghai, Shanghai Normal University has two campuses, Xuhui and Fengxian. Covering an area of over 1.53 million square meters, there are more than 3.05 million books in the library. There are totally 17 secondary colleges under this university.
- Xuhui Campus: No. 100, Guilin Road, Xuhui District
- Fengxian Campus: No. 553, Fengpao Road, Fengxian District
- Hongkou Campus: No. 574, Xijiangwan Road
Shanghai University of Engineering Science
Songjiang Campus: No. 333, Longteng Road, Songjiang District
- Changning Campus: No. 350, Xianxia Road, Changning District
- Yixian Road Campus: No. 88, Yixian Road
- Xincun Road Campus: No. 435, Xincun Road, Putuo District
- Baoshan Campus: No. 99, Shangda Road, Baoshan District
- Yanchang Campus: No. 149, Yanchang Road, Zhabei District
- Jiading Campus: No. 20, Chengzhong Road, Jiading District
Shanghai Second Polytechnic University.
The institution has five campuses:
- Jinhai Road Campus: No. 2360, Jinghai Road, Pudong New Area
- Putuo Campus: No. 575, Yichang Road, Putuo District
- Baoshan Campus: No. 199, Tongji Branch Road
- Zhabei Campus: No. 80, North Shaanxi Road
- Xuhui Campus: No. 15, Lane 988, South Zhongshan 2nd Road, Xuhui District
Shanghai Institute of Foreign Trade
They offer courses in economics, management, literature, law, science, and engineering. In Eastern China, this is the only foreign-related business university . Songjiang Campus: No. 1900, Wenxiang Road, Songjiang District
- Gubei Campus: No. 620, Gubei Road, Changning District
- Qibao Campus: No. 3349, Caobao Road, Minhang District
- Lingang Campus: No. 1550, Pudong Avenue, Pudong New Area
- Dongming Road Campus: No. 1336, Dongming Road, Pudong New Area
- Haihua Campus: No. 555, Jinqiao Road
- Gangwan Campus: No. 2600, Pudong Avenue, Pudong New Area
- Hongkou Campus: No. 150, Huoshan Road, Hongkou District
Lingang Xincheng Campus: No. 999, Hucheng Ring Road, Lingang Xincheng, Pudong New Area.
Jungong Road Campus: No. 318, Jungong Road, Yangpu District.
Shanghai Theatre Academy
Huashan Road Campus: No. 630, Huashan Road, Jing’an District
Lianhua Road Campus: No. 211, Lianhua Road, Minhang District
Shanghai Conservatory of Music
Location: No. 20, Fenyang Road, Xuhui District
SHANGHAI UNIVERSITIES ACCEPTANCE RATE
The acceptance rates of the universities in Shanghai differs. It is high for some institutions and low for some. The acceptance rate for studying Chinese Language in Chinese universities is high- more than 70%.
The process is fast for the application. It is less than 30 minutes for the Chinese Language Programme in China.
The requirements are a Passport copy, photograph, and highest academic graduation certificate. To apply, check:
The acceptance rate for Fudan University is 32%, Tongji university is 42%. It is 10% for Chinese Students in Shanghai Jiao Tong University and 32% for international students; this is an advantage for international students.
Some of the universities require the students to write exams. Passing the exams and meeting the requirements for your school of choice gives you an edge. Some courses like medicine and engineering are more competitive. If you choose any of them, you will work harder to be accepted.
SCHOLARSHIP FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS IN SHANGHAI
The government of Shanghai gives scholarships to international students to encourage International participation in the education of system of Shanghai. Shanghai Government Scholarship (SGS), is of two types:
A type: This pays for the beneficiary’s tuition, expenses for accommodation and living, medical insurance. It is a full scholarship. It is open for students post graduate, undergraduate, pre college programs.
B type: This is a partial scholarship. It covers tuition and medical insurance. It is available for post graduate and undergraduate students.
- The student must be a non-citizen of China.
- For Bachelors’s degree, the student must have a high school degree at least and should be less than 25 years. In the master’s program, the student must have a bachelor’s degree and above and should be less than 35 years. For Ph.D., the student must have at least a Masters’s degree and should be less than 40 years.
Students for precollege programmes must have a high school result and should be less than 23 years. The student should also possess letter of pre-admission for undergraduate programme from a Shanghai university.
- Outstanding academic performance.
- The student must meet the prerequisites of the University and the program.
- Must be non-beneficiary of any other scholarship.
- Language proficiency. Generally, the student should achieve the Chinese level of HSK4 and meet the language requirements of the school and program.
The institution guides the student as regards Visa application, registration and other procedures.
The university gives accommodation to the deserving student in the first year. Evaluations are made based on the student’s academic performance, attitude, attendance, and conduct.
The results of evaluations is reported at the Shanghai Municipal Education Commission.
Programs are held to aid international students get well aquainted with Shanghai and China at large. Examples of such programmes are:
- Experiencing China
- Studying in Shanghai.
Visit this sites for more on scholarship:
Studying in Shanghai is an adventurous journey. We have given you the necessary information here as regards your journey to study in Shanghai and what to expect. You can start your process of securing a place for yourself in your choice of institution in Shanghai. Best of luck as you proceed to study in Shanghai.
- www.teanabroad.org – 10 Reasons to Study Abroad in Shanghai.
- www.asiaexchange.org – Student Experience in Shanghai – Gerhard.
- www.umultirank.org – Why Should I Study in Shanghai.
- www.besteduchina.com – Why Study at Shanghai University, China.
- www.iesabroad.org – 10 Reasons Shanghai Should Move Up On Your Study Abroad Locations.
- www.scholarshubafrica.com – 5 Benefits of Studying in China for International Students.
- www.facts.net – Shanghai Facts
- www.masersportal.com – Study Abroad in China. All you need to know about Tuition and Living Costs.
- www.shanghai.gov.cn – Application Guide to Shanghai Government Scholarship for International Studies.
- www.travelchinaguide.com – Top 25 Universities in Shanghai.
- www.china-admission.com – Acceptance rate over 95% Study Chinese Language in Chinese Universities for September 2020 intake.
- www.acceptance-rates.com – Shanghai JIAO TONG UNIVERSITY ACCEPTANCE RATE.
- www.uscollegeinternational.com – 15 Universities in China with the Highest Acceptance Rates