Do you want to know How to Study in Berlin?? if yes then read on.
Berlin is the capital of Germany and is most welcoming to international students. Germany ranks the fourth most popular destination for international students with the US, UK, and Australia topping the list.
Studying in Germany is the cheapest compared to the other three states. The educational system in Germany ranks high among the best in the world.
The degrees are highly recognized and it gives one an edge in seeking employment.
Berlin is regaled with recreational sites and beautiful places that offer the students a pleasurable social life as a way of easing off the school stress.
Are you seeking a city to study abroad as an international student or have you applied for schooling in Berlin; this article is for you.
We have provided you with all you need to know to study in Berlin and have a wonderful stay there.
WHY STUDYING IN BERLIN IS THE BEST OPTION
There is no tuition fee in the public universities in Berlin. These public universities welcome maximally international students from different countries.
Public universities allow the students to pay a little amount for administrative purposes. Private universities require cheaper tuition compared to other developed countries like the US, UK, and Australia.
It costs about $10,000 – $50,000 per year to study in the US, UK, and Australia as an international student while it costs about 20,000 Euros/ year as an undergraduate and 30,000 Euros as a Masters student in Berlin. Studying in Berlin as an international student is affordable hence many international students opt for it.
The education system in Germany is a top-notch in the world. The universities offer a wide range of courses- medicine, engineering, natural sciences, humanities,social sciences and arts.
The Berlin universities have notable alumni including Albert Einstein, Friedrich Engels, Max Weber, and 55 Noble Laureates.
The degrees obtained are recognized all over the world. The universities allow one to continue education after a long break which is not obtainable in some countries such as India.
Some public universities use the English language as a language of instruction, there are courses that may be taught in German too. There are up to 300 English-taught degree programs.
Learning basic German is beneficial to the student to enhance communication in Berlin and this can be achieved with fellow students from Germany and the internet, as there are applications that teach German.
The universities teach students German at a cheap token and it is taught in the same area where the students take lectures, so you don’t have to undergo the stress of running around.
The cost of living in such a developed city is cheap. It will cost about 800 – 1000 Euros a month to stay in Berlin as an international student. This covers the rent, insurance and personal expenses. The amount largely depends on the student’s extravagance or economizing habit.
Study and work as a student. Studying in Berlin offers you the ability to study and earn at the same time. This will help the student to be financially stable and possibly save while schooling. Getting employed after school is way easier, especially, with the rising number of start up companies (greater than 2500) as Berlin attracts more talents and entrepreneurs.
Life as a student in Berlin is adventurous. There are cinemas, galleries (more than 440), eatries, gardens, museums and zoos. Berlin, has a unique history that would interest you as an international student to get aquinted with. The city obeys the popular talk – all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.
POPULAR STUDY ABROAD PROGRAMS IN BERLIN
Germany has a track record of its technological advancements. The research facilities and institutions rank top in the world and are situated strategically near industrial centers to ensure close interaction. A masters’ program is usually four semesters (two years) and some institutions offer the same for three semesters (one and a half years). This is of benefit to graduates who would want to complete their masters fast and make their way into their field of study.
Germany is the power House of Europe. Established German companies employ graduates directly from the institutions linked to them. Lately, ease in the aquiring of residence, makes it much easier to settle and work in Berlin or Germany than before.
The institutions ranking best in Engineering and technical teachings include (in no order of importance):
- Technische Universitat Munchen
- Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT)
- Humboldt Universitat zu Berlin
- RWTH Aachen University
- Freie Universitat.
Studying Medicine in Berlin affords you the privilege of numerous health career to venture into. There are more than sixty (60) specialties you can choose from. There is a great demand for medical doctors all over the world.
The Bureau of Labour Statistics has it that employment of nurses and doctors is expected to grow between 7 – 12% by 2028 in the US and this percentage will be higher in continents like Africa and Asia.
The payment is high In the US:
- Paediatrician – 149,300 USD/year Dentist – 130,800 USD/year Neurologists – 209,300 USD/year Familydoctor – 184,100 USD/year
- Oncologist – 259,000 USD/year.
Your salary grows with your experience in the field. You will be part of the group easing patients’ pains and illnesses.
Arts inclined courses-
Design, History, Music, Drawing, and Painting. Berlin is endowed with lots of historic monuments, Berlin Wall, Jewish Museum, Neues Palais. There are more than four (400) hundred galleries.
The institutions offer the students the privilege of using motion design laboratories, photos, and TV studios which are modern facilities. Some of the programs require semesters abroad, summer schools, Student competitions which give the students international experience.
Berlin hosts several artistic events which makes room for local organizational support. Theoretical classes are merged with practical sessions. Students have the liberty to express their creativity and to choose their favourable topics for projects. There is free access to lecturers both for questions and advice. Institutions that are specialized in arts are:
1. Berlin Art Institute
2. Berlin University of the Arts
3. Bard College Berlin
This is no order of ranking.
WHAT SHOULD I STUDY IN BERLIN?
The universities in Berlin offer a wide range of courses- depending on students’ choice and qualifications. The education system in Germany affords you vast opportunities to make the best option that best suit you. Some courses, however, are highly competitive in relation to others both for international students and indigenous students. Meeting the standard, determines if the student will be granted the admission. Courses like medicine and surgery, engineering are highly competitive but are possible. Early application and good performance in entrance examinations gives you an edge for schools that requires entrance examinations.
The range of courses you can choose to study are – medicine and surgery, engineering, natural sciences, humanities, social sciences, cultural sciences and arts. Your course of study will largely depend on the subjects you studied in high school where must have chosen sciences, arts or commercial.
Here is a list of top institutions and the courses they offer:
- Freie Universitatis (FU).
The programs are social sciences, humanities, natural sciences and medicine.
- Humboldt Universitat (HU).
They offer programs in agriculture, cultural sciences, humanities, social sciences, medicine.
- Technische Universitat (TU).
The programs are social sciences, planning, natural sciences, engineering, humanities.
- Berlin University of Arts.
They offer a wide range of art programs like cultural journalism and digitalization, fine arts, music.
It is important that you check your qualifications from high school, special requirements that suits your choice and more importantly, your dream choice of course.
STUDENTS’ LIFE IN BERLIN
The students’ life in Berlin is filled interesting activities. It is exciting and vibrant. The city attracts much international students and cultures and this avails you a lot to glean from and to mingle with students from different parts of the world. Learning basic German avails you the ease to communicate with the natives even if your program is taught in English language. In Berlin, you will feed your eyes with gorgeous and natural sites like the Museum island, Berlin zoo, Palace of tears, Brandenburg Gate, Rotes Rothaus.
The standard of living is high and relatively affordable. The schools provide accommodation for students which they pay for. There are private residences which costs a bit higher. Staying in the school’s residence affords you close proximity to the school, you get to meet new friends from different places as students are paired most times to share kitchen and bathrooms and it’s cheaper. The disadvantages includes: nosiy environment as the residents may be used for meeting points for parties, kitchen and bathrooms are often shared, rooms are rarely furnished and small. There are up to 30 students’ residences located in different urban parts of Berlin. Your choice will depend on the location of your school. The Studentenwerk helps in the allocation of these residences. Visit the webpage of the Studentenwerk for more information and application.
Private accommodations offers you the comfort of furnished rooms, privacy but they are distant and costs more. Students’ school residents cost about 250 Euro while private accommodation costs about 300-700 Euros. Your choice will depend on your needs and your pocket.
Good feeding is affordable. There are several eatries and you can also cook on your own. Feeding in a month costs about 200- 300 Euros. It depends on the student’s expenditure rate. There lots of delicacies that you will savour in Berlin eateries- apple cake, potato salad, potato fritters, cheese cake, onion tart, and stollen.
Some students work and study to earn extra cash. There are rules guiding this, you are permitted to work 120 full days or 240 half days per year. This is to encourage students to balance studies and work. Internships, are excluded, if it is part of your programme. If you would want to work, keep it balanced with your studies.
An average student is likely to make the following expenditures monthly:
- Food- 323 Euros
- Clothes -60 Euros
- Transportation- 94 Euros
- Learning materials- 80 Euros
- Internet and recreation- 90 Euros
BASIC STEPS TO TAKE WHEN APPLYING FOR ADMISSION IN BERLIN
- Finding the best Study Program for you.
- Meet All Requirements.( Some Universities ask for English Proficiency Certificates)
- Learn The German Language(OPTIONAL but important)
- Find Financial Resources.
- Apply For Admission.
- Get Your German Student Visa.
- Find Accommodation.
- Enrolling At Your University.
POPULAR UNIVERSITIES IN BERLIN
The popular universities in Berlin for international students are:
- Humboldt Universitat.
It is the oldest Berlin university and was founded in 1806. The great scientist Albert Einstein and Max Weber are alumni of the institution. It has to its credit 55 Noble Laureates. It’s the most prestigious university in Berlin.
- Freie Universitat.
It was founded in 1948 and has been awarded the title “University of Excellence,” in 2007. It has strategic partnership with other popular institutions like Oxford university.
- Technische Universitat.
It is notable for being one of the largest universities of technology in Germany. It has a greater number of international students compared to other institutions (greater than 25%).
- Charite of Freie Universitat.
It is a medical college. with about 7,500 students. It is known for its high standard of classical research. Greater than 50% of German Nobel Prize Winners in medicine and physiology have worked in the institution.
- Berlin University of Arts.
It offers a wide range of artistic subjects, that deal with scientific aspects which most other institutions of fine arts and colleges of music do not practice. It is the largest art school in Europe.
COST OF STUDYING IN BERLIN.
The cost of studying in Berlin is relatively cheap and affordable. Some of the institutions majorly the public institutions are tuition free. The private institutions charge tuition fees which is affordable:
- 20,000 Euros upward per year (undergraduate studies)
- 30,000 Euros upward per year (masters studies)
Furthermore, International students are required to deposit about 10,000 Euros in a block account. This is mandatory for all international students. It is to ensure that an international student and can cater for the expenditures for one year. There is no need to panic. You can take a loan to deposit the money. You pay back after your studies as the money is still for you if you don’t exhaust it.
There are financing options a student can go for:
- Students/study loans
- Students’ grants
- Study support
You can work while you study to lessen the financial burden.
Scholarships in Berlin for international students:
- Deutschland stipendium National Scholarship Programme. This scholarship offers students (indigenous and international students) non-material and financial support provided they are high-achieving and committed. It amounts to 300 EUR per month for at least two semesters, although, it can last till end of studies.
- DAAD Scholarship Programmes. This is a joint group of German’s higher educational institutions and they promote international academics relations primarily through the switch of students, academics and researchers. It involves international students, graduate students and scientists looking for aid for studies, research work in Germany.
- Germany Foundations’ Scholarship Programmes. A group of religious and political foundations offer international students scholarships. Heinrich Boll Foundation Scholarships and Friedrich Naumann Foundation Scholarship for international students are examples of the political foundations. Konrad Adenauer Stiftung scholarship and KAAD scholarship are examples of religious foundations in Germany.
- Erasmus Scholarship Programmes in Germany. This scholarship aids students to pursue their studies/Programmes in Germany.
LIST OF UNIVERSITIES IN GERMANY THAT TEACH IN ENGLISH
- Hochschule Mannheim –University of Applied Sciences
- Karlsruhe Institute of Technology
- Berlin International University of Applied Sciences
- Bremen University of Applied Sciences
- Jacobs University
- Technische Universitat Munchen
- University of Gottingen
- Max Planck Institute
- Freie Universitat Berlin
- Technische Universitat Dresden
- Munich University of Applied Sciences
- University of Bonn
- Saarland University
- Frankfurt School of Finance & Management
- Technische Universitat Kaiserslautern
- Universitat Hamburg
- ULM University
- HHL Leipzig Graduate School of Management
- University of Bayreuth
- WHU-Otto Beisheim School of Management
- University of Stuttgart
- RWTH Aachen University
- HTW Berlin
- Technische Universitat Berlin
- TU Darmstadt
- University of Hohenheim
- The University of Erfurt
- Freiburg University
Studying in Berlin is a great choice for any international student. You will be privileged to study in a world-class city. You have the privilege of meeting many other international students from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
More so, You get a world-recognized degree in a student welcoming environment. You will have nothing to lose but everything to gain. You may want to stay back after studies in Germany. Start your application to study in the great city of Berlin in Germany.
- www.eduopinions.com – The pros and cons of studying in Berlin
- www.student.com – 7 Reasons to Study Abroad in Berlin
- www.mygermanuniversity.com – Berlin University: A guide for international students (2021)
- www.study.eu – Study in Berlin Germany
- www.psychology-berlin.com – Study in Berlin
- www.study.eu – International Students love Berlin: Here’s why
- www.berlinsbi.com – Top reasons for studying in Berlin
- www.scholarshipads.com – Free University of Berlin Scholarships for international students 2020-2021
- www.studying-in-germany.org – Studying and Living in Berlin
- www.berlinsbi.com – How much does it cost to study in Germany
- www.afterschoolafrica.com – Free Tuition Universities in Germany Taught in English
- www.studygreen.info -10 Universities in Germany to Study on Free Tuition for International Students
- www.study-in-germany.de – German Food
- www.euroeducation.net – Why Study for an Engineering Degree Program in Germany
- www.mastersportal.com – Top 7 Reasons to Study a Medicine Degree in 2020; Why study for an Art Degree in Berlin in 2020