University Scholarships in Canada: Are you looking for university scholarships for international students in Canada?
Do you want to study in a particular Canadian University and you want to find out if they offer scholarships to international students?
Does Canada even offer scholarships?
Absolutely there are a lot of scholarships available for international students to take advantage of and study in Canada.
Some of these scholarships are course-based such as the Psychology Scholarships For International Students in Canada.
Some on the other hand are specific to some colleges and faculties such as Medical School Scholarships for International Students in Canada.
Also, some Canadian scholarships are program-specific just like the Masters Scholarships For International Students in Canada.
Many students who want to study in Canada want to do so on scholarship or study in Cheap Community Colleges in Canada.
The reason is that the tuition costs are generally on the high side due to the quality and content of education not just in Canada but the world at large.
Though the Canadian tuition fees are not as high as their United States counterpart, some international students cant still afford to pay. That is where scholarship comes in.
We all agree that Canadian universities are world-class universities that will give you the opportunities normally you will not be exposed to.
However, in a bid to help international students achieve their academic dreams, most universities have begun to offer scholarships.
In this article, we bring you a list of University-specific scholarships for international students to study in Canada.
With these scholarships, you not only get to study in Canada, but you can study in your dream Canadian school all for free.
If that’s what you seek to have, allow me to walk you through this possibility in just a few minutes.
Do Canadian Universities Provide Scholarships for International Students?
Yes, Canadian universities and colleges have a wide range of scholarships for international students.
These scholarships help international students fund their education.
Besides Canadian universities, the government of Canada, public and private establishments offer scholarships to international students as well.
In this article, however, we are placing our focus on university-specific scholarships for international students in Canada.
What Grades Do You Need To Get A Scholarship in Canada?
Because it’s a university-based scholarship, the grade requirement will be school-dependent.
However, if you have an average of 80% or higher during high school, you stand a chance to receive an entrance scholarship.
Once you’ve made a choice of the institution of higher education, visit the school’s website to determine the exact grade that should get you a scholarship.
How Do I Get a Full Scholarship to Study in Canada?
To get a full scholarship to study in Canada, you have to follow the following steps;
- Know Where To Look For Scholarships: If you’re looking for a university scholarship, you just looked at the right article.
- Prepare in Advance: Ready tour documents and application letters early enough so as to submit before the deadline.
- Work Hard And Keep Motivated: Scholarships don’t come all that easy, especially in Canada. So roll up your sleeves and expect the best.
- Make Yourself Stand Out From Other Applicants: Let your cover letter sell you out positively. Let your application to the admission committee want to meet this fellow in person.
- Read the Application Instructions Carefully: Apply in coherence with the application instructions else you will be wasting your resources, energy and time.
- Be Realistic: Go for scholarships that you fit, that’s a little easier to get.
Following these steps, getting a scholarship wouldn’t be that hard.
List of Universities With Scholarships for International Students in Canada
A lot of Canadian universities sponsor a lot of scholarships to aid international students study for free
One university can sponsor over 3 Free Scholarships For International Students in Canada.
What you will find below is a list of universities with scholarships in Canada.
For clarity, we have further listed the scholarships these universities sponsor.
That means, if you want or study in the University of Winnipeg, you can do that through either of its numerous scholarships.
With that being said, here is a list of university scholarships in Canada;
#1. University of Winnipeg Scholarships
Under the University of Winnipeg, international students can take advantage of the following scholarships;
- University of Winnipeg Manitoba Graduate Scheme (UWMGS)
- Open to Master’s Students interested in research.
- The University of Winnipeg Graduate Studies Scholarship (UWGSS)
- Open to applicants who are nominated by “Graduate Program Candidate” and are interested in a full-time research-based thesis.
- The University of Winnipeg President’s Scholarship for World Leaders
- Open to students who are entering into the University of Winnipeg for the first time.
- Linda Brown and Vana Kirby Graduate Scholarship for disabled students
- Like the name signifies, this scholarship favours disabled students.
- President’s Scholarship for World Leaders
- Open to international students who are enrolling for the first time in the University of Winnipeg for any program.
- However, they must exhibit leadership qualities.
#2. University of McGill Scholarships
The University of McGill offers international students the following scholarships to study in Canada;
- Pierre Arbor Foundation
- Open to Master and Doctoral students in Computer Science, Engineering and MBA.
- Need-based Financial Aid For Future Undergraduates
- Open to undergraduate students who are entering into McGill for the first time.
- Entrance Scholarships For Future Undergraduates
- Open to future full-time undergraduate students of McGill.
#3. York University Scholarships
If you want to study at York University on scholarship, here are some you can apply to;
- Armand and Denise LA Barge Graduate Scholarship in Multiculturalism
- Open to current and incoming full-time Master’s students. Students whose research relates to Human Rights, Multiculturalism, Racism, Cultural Diversity, or similar areas have a higher chance.
- Howard Daugherty International Graduate Award in Neotropical Conservation
- Must be a masters/doctoral student with a research topic in neotropical conservation.
- Joyce and Fred Zemans Scholarship
- Open to current and incoming full-time Master’s student at York university
- The Graduate Program in Art History
- Exception to Canadian Art and/or Curatorial students.
- Graduate Fellowship for Academic Distinction (GFAD)
- This is one of the scholarships York University provides for international students with leadership potential in international affairs, environmental protection, fine arts, and/or, political economy.
#4. Fairleigh Dickinson University Scholarships
- University Provost’s Scholarship Program for Graduate Study
- Open to admitted master’s program at the University.
- Col. Fairleigh S. Dickinson Scholarship
- Open to international undergraduate students.
- FDU International Scholarship
- Incoming undergraduate students at FDU.
- FDU International Graduate Scholarship
- Open to graduate students.
#5. University of Waterloo Scholarships
- University of Waterloo International Student Entrance Scholarship
- Open to 20 first-year undergraduate international students.
- International Master’s and Doctoral Student Awards (IMSA / IDSA)
- Open to MA, MASC, MES, MFA, MMATH, MSC or research-based Doctoral students.
- International Master’s Award of Excellence (IMAE)
- Open to master’s students entering a research-based graduate program.
#6. University of Alberta Scholarships
The University of Alberta is a prestigious university with lots of scholarships for international students in Canada.
Some of them are;
- International Entrance Leadership Scholarship
- Open to undergraduate students on study permit and possess a leadership skill.
- University of Alberta Centenary Scholarship
- Awarded to first-year undergraduate students on a Study Permit with superior academic achievement.
- University of Alberta Gold Standard Scholarship
- Awarded to top 5% of students in each faculty
- University of Alberta Master’s Recruitment Scholarships
- Open to international students who are going to enroll in this UAlberta for the masters in thesis and research.
- Alberta Innovates Graduate Student Scholarship
- Open to graduate students undertaking full-time research education at an Alberta university.
#7. Queen’s University Scholarships
- International and U.S. Admission Scholarships and Awards
- Open to post-secondary international students who want to study in this University on scholarships in Canada.
#8. Simon Fraser University Scholarships
Here are some of the Canadian scholarships offered by the Simon Fraser University;
- Provost International Fellowship
- Awarded to the highest achieved international student who enrolleed in SFU.
- Graduate Dean’s Entrance Scholarship (GDES)
- Open to masters and postgraduate studies with a minimum GPA of 3.5.
- Arthur and AncieFouks Graduate Entrance Award in Public Service
- Open to full-time masters or Ph.D. students with high level of public service qualities.
- Bert Henry Memorial Graduate Entrance Scholarship
- Awarded to students with high academic achievement who enroll in the masters/Ph.D. program in SFU.
- Judy Graves Graduate Award
- Open to students of SFU who have done community service for the homeless people, mental health and addiction, HIV/AIDS.
#9. University of New Brunswick Scholarships
- Entrance Scholarship
- Awarded to high school, transfer and B.ed international students in Canada who are going to start their Undergraduate program.
#10. University of Saskatchewan Scholarships
Scholarships available at the University of Saskatchewan;
- University of Saskatchewan International Excellence Awards
- Open to international students who are enrolling in the university for the first time.
- International Baccalaureate (IB) Excellence Awards
- Only open to students who have completed their IB and has gotten direct entry to U of S.
- Canadian Curriculum Schools Awards
- Open to undergraduate students entering the University of Saskatchewan.
- Council of International School Awards
- Open to full-time undergraduate international students who have graduated from CIS member schoool and ntering the undergraduate program into the U of S.
- Allan Backman Memorial Entrance Scholarship
- Open to all students pursuing Masters of Public Health (M.P.H) with a minimum average of 90%.
#11. University Of Toronto Scholarships
Here are some university scholarships under U of T for international students in Canada;
- University of Toronto Scholars Program
- Awarded to outstanding student of all levels.
- President’s Scholars of Excellence Program
- Awarded to international students who are applying for an undergraduate study in U of T.
- Lester B. Pearson International Scholarship Program
- Awarded to students who have showed creativity and good leadership skills.
- Faculty of Engineering Admission Scholarships
- Awarded to outstanding students in the engineering field.
#12. University Of Manitoba Scholarships
- International Undergraduate Student Entrance Scholarships
- Open to students who have good grades during their secondary school.
- International Baccalaureate Entrance Scholarships
- Open to students who are entering into the University for the first time via the International Baccalaureate Diploma.
- University of Manitoba Graduate Fellowship
- Open to full-time graduate student who possess excellent academic skills and achievements.
- International Graduate Student Entrance Scholarship (IGSES)
- Awarded to students who are entering into the first year of their graduate studies at the university.
- J.W. GRADUATE fellowship for Study in International Relations
- Only open to graduate students studying International Relations.
#13. University Of Western Ontario Scholarships
Some scholarships offered by the University of Ontario to international students to study in Canada include;
- International President’s Entrance Scholarships
- Awarded to full-time student who must have completed a National Scholarship application.
- Western Admission Scholarship Program
- Open to first time students from post-secondary studies.
- Schulich Leader Scholarship
- Open to students pursuing a career in technology, innovation, engineering, or scientific research.
#14. University Of Calgary Scholarships
- President’s Admission Scholarships
- Awarded to the students entering into the UG studies at the university for the first time.
- IB Diploma Scholarships
- Awarded to the students entering into the UG studies at the university for the first after completing their IB diploma with a minimum score of 35.
- University of Calgary International Entrance Scholarships and Awards
- Open to international students who are entering into the University full-time to pursue an undergraduate degree.
#15. Dalhousie University Scholarships
At Dalhousie University Canada, international students can study via these scholarships;
- General Entrance Award Program
- Open to students enrolling into Dalhousie University undergraduate program.
- Richard and Melda Murray Jamaican Engineering Scholarship
- Only open to Jamaican students entering the university to study Bachelor of Engineering.
- CorpFinance International Limited (Kevin Andrews) Indian Bursary
- Only open to Indian students who want to study Bachelor of Commerce at the University.
- Class of 1956 Graduate Scholarship – Students who are in the graduate studies and are doing research in the fields of Agriculture, Social, Engineering and Environmental Sciences. International Graduate Student Scholarship are also eligible in this criteria.
#16. Memorial University Scholarships
- The Memorial University of Newfoundland International Entrance Scholarship
- Open to students who have paid a full tuition and international fee
- IUGS Entrance Scholarship for Undergraduate Students
- Awarded to new undergraduate international students on the St. John’s campus.
- School of Graduate Studies fellowships
- Open to all graduate students who applied to Memorial University.
#17. Carleton University Scholarships
International students scholarships sponsored by Carleton University, Canada includes;
- Entrance Scholarships for American and International High School students
- Only open to international students who met the admission requirements at the university with an average of 80%.
#18. HEC MONTRÉAL Scholarships
- Entrance scholarships
- Open to students entering into HEC Montreal for the first time.
- Admission Scholarship for Foreign Exchange (M.Sc.) – BOUCARO FOUNDATION
- Open to MSc students with good academic record.
#19. Quest University Scholarships
Here are some university scholarships for international students to study in Canada;
- David Strangway Award for Excellence
- Open to students with very high level of academic excellence with outstanding leadership qualities and services.
- Presidential Scholarships
- Open to students who are applying for Bachelor of Liberal Arts and Science (B.A. & B.Sc.)
- LEAP (Leaders in Elite Athletics & Performance) Scholarships
- The candidates who are into athletics and Sports programs and are into LEAP program are eligible for this scholarship.
#20. Fanshawe College Scholarships
- Ross and Vivian Whitney Family Scholarship
- Open to students who want to study Electromechanical Engineering Technician program.
- Joy Warkentin Applied Degree Entrance Scholarship
- Open to students who enroll in the level 1 eligible degree program.
- Kate Gielen Academic Entrance Award
- Awarded to the candidates who enroll for the full time in Bachelor of Interior Design Program and has a high GPA.
#21. Seneca College Scholarships
Seneca College offers university scholarships to international students who want to study in Canada.
Some of which includes;
- Seneca Renewable Entrance Scholarship of Merit
- Open to all who enroll in the college for the diploma or graduate certificate.
- Renewable Degree Scholarships
- Open to students who are enrolled in a degree programs in Seneca college.
#22. George Brown College Scholarships
- International Student Scholarship
- Open to students who have displayed financial need and who have a minimum GPA of 2.5.
- Post-Secondary Scholarship for International Students – Certificate
- Open to full time post-graduate students with a minimum GPA of 3.5.
Frequently Asked Questions About University Scholarships for International Students in Canada
Which University Gives Full Scholarship for International students in Canada?
There are many universities in Canada that give fully-funded scholarships.
However, the No 1 university that gives full-tuition scholarships to international students in Canada is the University of Alberta.
This fully-funded scholarship offered by the University is open to Masters and Ph.D. students.
Is it Hard To Get A Scholarship In Canada?
Well, not that easy but it’s sure very possible.
In fact, a lot of international students have gotten Canadian scholarships.
Universities in Canada will love to welcome you to study in one of the world’s best countries.
Follow through on the recommendations we made and send in your application.
We would want to see you have your study in Canada dream fulfilled.